Green Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Cerenity, Aug 14, 2019 at 1:12 PM.

1. Cerenity

Cerenity Hatching

Wednesday
    Hi there! Our neighbors let their chickens free range - mostly into our place. I've been caring for a Rhode Island Red that I'm particularly fond of and once the rest of the flock got wind of the good food and regular care, they seem to be "visiting" more regularly. I do not have experience with chickens, so, I do like observing their behavior and getting to know them.

My Rhode Island Red's best gal pal is a black and white chicken which could be a Plymouth Rock chicken? Admittedly, that assessment is based solely on a limited Google search and less-than-scientific "does this chicken look like that one" photograph comparison. Both girls lay their eggs in my older horse's feeder. The Rhode Island Red lays brown eggs, but, when the black and white chicken showed up, I noticed a second green egg in the feeder, so, I can only assume it's her laying them.

I have never seen a green egg before, but, after looking over the forums here, it appears some chickens do lay them! Are they still safe to eat? Do they taste different than a brown or white egg?

I have attached a picture of the black and white chicken as well as the eggs I collected this morning. The brown egg is my Rhode Island Red. The lighter egg, I think is from a grey colored chicken that has dark points. Any input on why this chicken is laying green eggs? Are they still safe to eat?

Thanks, in advance!

Attached Files:

2. NoodlesMama

NoodlesMama Chirping

May 3, 2019
    South East Michigan
    The green eggs are safe and are the same as any other egg. From the picture it looks like you have 3 different hens laying there since each hen always lays the same color eggs and you have 3 different colors. Enjoy your eggs

3. BigBlueHen53

BigBlueHen53 Crowing

Mar 5, 2019
    SE Missouri, USA
    Look up "Easter Eggers." :)

4. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Free Ranging

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    Green eggs are the result of a chicken with blue egg genes and brown egg genes. Some chickens lay eggs that are almost sky-blue.

5. Cerenity

Cerenity Hatching

Wednesday
    Thanks for the input, everyone!

Aussie-Chookmum likes this.
  6. sealer39

sealer39 Songster

Aug 3, 2013
    Pineville, Louisiana
    Could you post a pic of the third hen?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019 at 4:49 AM
  7. chrissynemetz

chrissynemetz Free Ranging

Dec 19, 2013
    Olathe Colorado
    Lots of chickens lay green eggs. They're no different than any other color eggs... yummy and safe to eat :)

8. analyticalblonde

analyticalblonde Songster

Apr 30, 2018
    Tooele, UT
    I have 2 Ameracunas that are green & blue egg layers. Their eggs will be far more superior to store-bought white/brown eggs. You hit the payload and many people will be envious to your fortuitous findings!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: