"Green Mallard" the white leg horn cockrel had a run in with Sissy the licking dog

flocking nuts

Chirping
Jun 13, 2016
Homestead, Florida
Please forgive me, but I have to say it...
I need help with a bruised cock. Ha, sorry again.

Our dog Sissy is a wonderful loving girl, but she loves to lick. I've always said she's the viscous licking dog. Well our little roo is bruised up and missing some feathers on his back and neck. I didn't see it, but I've stopped similar before.

As far as we can see there aren't any open wounds. He looked like he had been in puddles with all of the drool, there were a few little streaks of blood that I think may have been from feathers coming out. Does that happen? What can I do for the poor thing? He'll be ok, or at least drawing upon absolutely nonexistent chicken knowledge has convinced me, but I still want to know if I should do something? We rinsed the dirt and drool off of him, he napped while being held for a few minutes after, and was returned with the others. Dog is on time out, and is in the proverbial dog house. The child is on timeout for writing on the tv with a sharpie pen while we took those pics, and I'm going to the feed store for chicken treats.

Gratefully,
Wendy

Keep an eye for any infection, pus, oozing, odors.

You can apply some plain neosporin or vetericyn spray to the raw areas. If you notice any of the other chickens picking at him -sometimes red raw skin will attract that - use some Blu Kote or Pick No More to hide the redness.

Unfortunately dogs and chickens do not go well together sometimes. You may want to consider them not be out and about at the same time.

Keep an eye for any infection, pus, oozing, odors.

You can apply some plain neosporin or vetericyn spray to the raw areas. If you notice any of the other chickens picking at him -sometimes red raw skin will attract that - use some Blu Kote or Pick No More to hide the redness.

Unfortunately dogs and chickens do not go well together sometimes. You may want to consider them not be out and about at the same time.

Thanks! We don't usually leave them out. They came out with us, and I forgot to get towels to dry them off after their bath. I absent mindedly came in without them. It was a stupid mistake. I'm so overwhelmed trying to get everything unpacked, ready for my daughter's 4th birthday party, the coop built, and study for a state exam. We're lucky it wasn't worse.

And to make it a little more challenging we lost Robin 2 over night. She was a 2week old light Brahma, that was a "replacement" for the light Brahma,and family favorite, that was killed by a dog.

Thanks! We don't usually leave them out. They came out with us, and I forgot to get towels to dry them off after their bath. I absent mindedly came in without them. It was a stupid mistake. I'm so overwhelmed trying to get everything unpacked, ready for my daughter's 4th birthday party, the coop built, and study for a state exam. We're lucky it wasn't worse.

And to make it a little more challenging we lost Robin 2 over night. She was a 2week old light Brahma, that was a "replacement" for the light Brahma,and family favorite, that was killed by a dog.

I'm sorry you lost your little chick.

It sounds like you have a full plate. Let us know how he's doing.

Back
Top Bottom