Green, Ohio chicken laws

pisces7659

Hatching
9 Years
Sep 3, 2010
does anyone live in green, ohio? i got 5 chickens last week and my husband has been busy building the coop for a week now. i have close to an acre and do not live in a residential neighborhood. never thought to check with the city of green til this morning. so anyhow they said you cannot have chickens unless you have 5 acres of land! what to do??? i do not want to give them up, and my husband will not be please after spending 500$ for the coop and the time as well. is there any kind of exceptions that yall know of? the guy on the phone was a bit grumpy and said its been in the codes for quite sometime.

Not much you can do if the city won't allow it. State law says you have to have more than an acre not in a platted subdivision to have livestock which includes poultry and more than 5 acres anywhere to be exempt from livestock (which includes poultry) regulations. Some areas will allow you to have livestock on any size property, not too many but some.

You can try and fight city hall. It won't be easy, it won't be cheap, and it won't win friends, but it has been done. Some big cities will allow you to keep pet chickens, Columbus and Worthington are two. Check with your zoning department regulations. They should be online. There could possibly a pet exemption, but most likely there isn't.

Ask about a conditional use permit to allow some chickens. This often works, but takes a little time. If you get a conditional use permit, then they would likely place restrictions on you like "no roosters and only X number of chickens."

I know this is a old thread, but Green City council just had the third reading (which I assume the law has been adopted then correct?) anyways they had a third reading that says you can now have just two acres and have up to 8 hens....This is for the green in akron, oh...hope it helps!

Can you hide the coop? People don't complain about things they don't know exists. Mine is behind a 6 foot stockade fence and under trees so it is not visible from second story windows or roofs.

I just read an article from April where they are looking into revising the ordinances. I know i just went through the same thing here in Hartville. I would go to the council meetings and look up and take copies of info for them to read. I had done this with our council. Keep your chin up and don't give in!

There is no state law here. I just fought village hall and won. Had an attorney present. Neighboring cities allow backyard chickens. N. Canton, Canton, Cleveland, Hudson, and so on. The attorney even has chickens. He fought for it and won. So I would approach council and research information on the positive effects of backyard chickens. There is much info online and can be used to change ordinances. Especially for those that live in urban areas and want to participate in 4H.

Back
Top Bottom