Green poop and labored breathing

Loverofthechickies

In the Brooder
May 7, 2021
Good morning.

So recently, I had to cull one of my hens. It was best for the flock or so I thought. My rooster and along with my other hens are pooping a green/yellow runny poop that sticks to their feathers. They also have labored breathing, and sometimes they open their mouth and it sounds like wheezing while stretching their neck out. They are also tired, but they will move around for a few and then go to sleep. One hen has clogged nostrils so I plan to clear those out, the others do not. Eyes look good. My rooster seems less sick than the others, but he stopped crowing.
I do have some LA-200, but I am unsure if I should give them some.

any ideas?
All my chickens are a year old if that helps

There are a bunch of respiratory diseases in chickens from a couple of viruses, a couple of bacterial diseases, and mold fungus. Only bacterial diseases, such as MG or coryza will respond to antibiotics. Most diseases make the whole flock carriers for life. I would close the flock—no birds coming in or going out until they are all gone. If you lose another bird, keep the body cold in a cooler, and take it to your state vet for a necropsy to find out what disease you are seeing. You could ask your vet to take some swabs from sick birds and get testing. Is there a bad odor from the birds’ heads?

LA-200 is a cattle oxytetracycline that is used every 3 days. It is not really for chickens. I would look at your coop ventilation, to make sure their is fresh air flowing through, and make sure the bedding is dry and clean. Tylosin, an antibiotic that is added to the water for 5 days, can be used to treat MG. You can buy it here:
https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/
If it is a virus it may get better in time, but hard to know.

Good morning.

So recently, I had to cull one of my hens. It was best for the flock or so I thought. My rooster and along with my other hens are pooping a green/yellow runny poop that sticks to their feathers. They also have labored breathing, and sometimes they open their mouth and it sounds like wheezing while stretching their neck out. They are also tired, but they will move around for a few and then go to sleep. One hen has clogged nostrils so I plan to clear those out, the others do not. Eyes look good. My rooster seems less sick than the others, but he stopped crowing.
I do have some LA-200, but I am unsure if I should give them some.

any ideas?
All my chickens are a year old if that
First of all isolate all infected birds since the symptoms you mentioned are very near to New Castle disease which is extremely contagious and can kill your entire flock if not treated on early stages.

No bad Oder coming from there heads. And I have them separated. I plan on calling a vet Monday to see if I can take one to get a test done. I know there are lots of things it’s could be but I haven’t gave them anything for that reason. They aren’t moving to much right now but they do move around. They are mainly just resting. One of them is wheezing pretty bad almost like she is coughing/screaming. Thank you for responding!

First of all isolate all infected birds since the symptoms you mentioned are very near to New Castle disease which is extremely contagious and can kill your entire flock if not treated on early stages.
They are isolated. Two of the hens aren’t showing signs of anything but I have left them with them since they are always around them and sleep together

There are a bunch of respiratory diseases in chickens from a couple of viruses, a couple of bacterial diseases, and mold fungus. Only bacterial diseases, such as MG or coryza will respond to antibiotics. Most diseases make the whole flock carriers for life. I would close the flock—no birds coming in or going out until they are all gone. If you lose another bird, keep the body cold in a cooler, and take it to your state vet for a necropsy to find out what disease you are seeing. You could ask your vet to take some swabs from sick birds and get testing. Is there a bad odor from the birds’ heads?

LA-200 is a cattle oxytetracycline that is used every 3 days. It is not really for chickens. I would look at your coop ventilation, to make sure their is fresh air flowing through, and make sure the bedding is dry and clean. Tylosin, an antibiotic that is added to the water for 5 days, can be used to treat MG. You can buy it here:
https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/
If it is a virus it may get better in time, but hard to know.
No Oder, plenty of ventilation in their coop. And I plan on taking one to the vet. Can they do samples like that? Is it blood samples I’m assuming? Thank you for the advice. I will be ordering some tylosin from the website! Should I toss the eggs from the hens? I’m assuming they would be safe to eat more humans but not sure

Exotic Newcastles disease would be very rare if you are in the US. It is more common in other countries, and is very deadly. It is likely that you are dealing with something more common. You can contact your state vet as well as the local agricultural agent to ask about testing. Zoologix, a national lab, can send you swabs to test a sick bird for about 8 respiratory diseases for about $90. Here is a link:
https://zoologix.com/avian/Datasheets/PoultryRespiratoryPanel.htm

Back
Top Bottom