Green poop, poop butt, waddling

Ferr41520

In the Brooder
Jun 24, 2020
Hi we recently lost one hen to what we thought was egg bound but now have another with same symptoms. First thing we notice is poop butt. When trying to get her to clean it she pooped loose green. She also is waddling with legs slightly spread apart and bottom lower to the ground. The one that died started like this then stopped drinking, fluffed up, and then lost color in her crown before death. We’ve tried ACV and garlic in water. And probiotics. We are now going to try electrolytes and medicated food. Any other suggestions or know what it could be? I’m hoping it’s not viral like the flu… no pictures available at this time. I can try to take some in the morning.

Hi we recently lost one hen to what we thought was egg bound but now have another with same symptoms. First thing we notice is poop butt. When trying to get her to clean it she pooped loose green. She also is waddling with legs slightly spread apart and bottom lower to the ground. The one that died started like this then stopped drinking, fluffed up, and then lost color in her crown before death. We’ve tried ACV and garlic in water. And probiotics. We are now going to try electrolytes and medicated food. Any other suggestions or know what it could be? I’m hoping it’s not viral like the flu… no pictures available at this time. I can try to take some in the morning.
@Wyorp Rock @azygous @Eggcessive

I lost a 9 year old hen a few months ago to a reproductive issue I don't exactly know what kind, but I think she had similar symptoms to what your hen is experiencing from what you described.

How old is your hen, and what are they being fed?
Is she or was she laying?
Does she feel lighter/thinner than she is supposed too?

How long exactly has she been like this, is there any other symptoms?
Does she have any drainage from her eyes nose, beak?

I hope she can get better, good luck to you!
:hugs

@Wyorp Rock @azygous @Eggcessive

I lost a 9 year old hen a few months ago to a reproductive issue I don't exactly know what kind, but I think she had similar symptoms to what your hen is experiencing from what you described.

How old is your hen, and what are they being fed?
Is she or was she laying?
Does she feel lighter/thinner than she is supposed too?

How long exactly has she been like this, is there any other symptoms?
Does she have any drainage from her eyes nose, beak?

I hope she can get better, good luck to you!
:hugs
She just started symptoms. Today is when I noticed. She is a laying hen but not sure if she has laid yet. We have 5 hens but only have received 4 eggs on some days. So we believe we do have one that’s not laying yet. Over the winter we only had 2-3 eggs/day. She wouldn’t let me catch her this evening lol. My other hen that just recently died was bloated. No drainage from her eyes, nose, or beak. My whole flock did have a rough molt this year and I questioned mites for awhile but did not see any. They are all feathered now except 1 butt and 1 with side feathers too. But this sick hen is feathered. We are now back to their organic layer crumble feed. We for a bit switched to higher protein to help with the feathers. They do get oats, corn, and meal worms to scratch or for a treat. As well as leftover or unused organic produce.

Do you have photos of your hen and her poop?

She may be having some reproductive problems. I would get some Calcium into her. 1 Calcium Citrate with D3 once a day.

Are you in the US? If so, most medicated feeds are chick starter which contains a very small amount of Amprolium which is a Coccidiostat, not an antibiotic. If you feel she has Coccidiosis then get some Corid (which is Amprolium) and treat her that way.

If you were trying to give an antibiotic by using medicated feed, then you can give Amoxicillin (Fish Mox). This may be helpful for infection of the oviduct.

Do see that she's drinking well, that her crop is emptying overnight.

She may be having some reproductive problems. I would get some Calcium into her. 1 Calcium Citrate with D3 once a day.

Are you in the US? If so, most medicated feeds are chick starter which contains a very small amount of Amprolium which is a Coccidiostat, not an antibiotic. If you feel she has Coccidiosis then get some Corid (which is Amprolium) and treat her that way.

If you were trying to give an antibiotic by using medicated feed, then you can give Amoxicillin (Fish Mox). This may be helpful for infection of the oviduct.

I didn’t see her drink last evening. I’m going to monitor her this morning to see. And I’ll check her crop. I read about the coccidiosis and some symptoms match so figured I’d try it. I don’t believe it to be an infection. We aren’t sure bc everything we read some symptoms match and some don’t. But with losing one, we are trying our best not to lose more.

I didn’t see her drink last evening. I’m going to monitor her this morning to see. And I’ll check her crop. I read about the coccidiosis and some symptoms match so figured I’d try it. I don’t believe it to be an infection. We aren’t sure bc everything we read some symptoms match and some don’t. But with losing one, we are trying our best not to lose more.

These are the photos I could get of her. Of course she wouldn’t poop the time I was out there. I did see her eat and drink. It doesn’t look like her crop is full. Today is a windy cold day here so they’re all a little fluffed up. She walks slower than the rest and her feet are wider apart. She won’t let me catch her to clean her. I’ll try again later. I did add Corid to their water.

Attachments

• 9E83EF5C-5A63-46AF-88DE-8C7C1CF03BB0.jpeg
    9E83EF5C-5A63-46AF-88DE-8C7C1CF03BB0.jpeg
    522.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 782D913E-56F0-471D-8C74-56788262A0B9.jpeg
    782D913E-56F0-471D-8C74-56788262A0B9.jpeg
    598.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 07F435ED-D283-41E9-A147-2BA61CF35115.jpeg
    07F435ED-D283-41E9-A147-2BA61CF35115.jpeg
    690 KB · Views: 6
You would want to feel of the crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat or drink to see if it's emptied.

Walking slower with feet further apart than normal, often is an indication of reproductive problems. Whether she's having trouble expelling a soft shelled egg or is starting to show signs of something like cancer, EYP, Salpingitis, etc. time will tell.
If it's an egg that is difficult to pass, then the Calcium can help with that.

Back
Top Bottom