Green Tomato Varieties-- wHY should I grow them? Which do you recommend??

Wow, that is impressive. Sure hoe that fruit keeps growing fast so it will be your first of the season to eat . . . .or does Green Zebra take a bit longer tha n some of the other varieties you have planted???
I don't know yet, it's still tiny. Lots and lots of flowers on my other tomato plants though.

Saw a green cheery tomato seed packet on sale today. Almost purchased it, might still go back to get it, it was $2.39 for only a few seeds. Like maybe 3 mg. COuld only feel a few seeds, maybe they are smaller than usual. Just need to get over sticker shock and go back and get them tomorrow.

This is Grub's Myster Green and the cherry is called Verde Claro. Arielle if you are interested in trying a few Green When Ripe Varities Id be happy to send a few seeds of each to try next year.

Last edited:
Yum a delicious looking plate of tomatos!!

thank you x 10

i checked back at the store and the display was gone. i almost cried. So your offer is MUCH appreciated!!

This is Grub's Myster Green and the cherry is called Verde Claro. Arielle if you are interested in trying a few Green When Ripe Varities Id be happy to send a few seeds of each to try next year.
Your letter arrived !!! WOw, so many more green tomatos than I realized. Verde Claro, Green DOctors, Grubs Mystery green,Malachite Box, and Cherokee Green. It is already August here, which means fall is soon to arrive and then the cold winter. TIme to put away and store many of the seeds for next year. Already anticipating getting these started under the grow light in the spring. Can hardly contain my anticipation . . .. .

THANK YOU THank you THank you

Worth repeating. . YOur letter arrived.
WOw, so many more green tomatos than I realized. Verde Claro, Green DOctors, Grubs Mystery green,Malachite Box, and Cherokee Green. It is already August here, which means fall is soon to arrive and then the cold winter. TIme to put away and store many of the seeds for next year. Already anticipating getting these started under the grow light in the spring.

THANK YOU THank you THank you

Despite the little snow this winter, holding back on starting seed has been a struggle. Very eager to start these seeds!! A warmer winter than usual with lots of rain and little snow but the temps have fluctuated more than usual, more highs than normal for winter here then back down to normal freezing..... so figure last frost date will be at its usual time. One New Jersey tomato grower won't plant out her tomatoes until Mother's Day...... perhaps that is good advice for here too as I'm a bit further north.

So today I planted all the seed i a tray. Was frantic yesterday when I lost the envelope for a few hours... had it, then misplaced it......all is well now, envelope found and all seed is planted.

Very excited to try these varieties.

Last edited:
Despite the little snow this winter, holding back on starting seed has been a struggle. Very eager to start these seeds!! A warmer winter than usual with lots of rain and little snow but the temps have fluctuated more than usual, more highs than normal for winter here then back down to normal freezing..... so figure last frost date will be at its usual time. One New Jersey tomato grower won't plant out her tomatoes until Mother's Day...... perhaps that is good advice for here too as I'm a bit further north.

So today I planted all the seed i a tray. Was frantic yesterday when I lost the envelope for a few hours... had it, then misplaced it......all is well now, envelope found and all seed is planted.

Very excited to try these varieties.

I hope they do well for you Arielle. My gardening season has been chaotic to say the least this year. Moved recently, behind on getting stuff planted and just crazy busy overall. Havent checked in here in months. However, gardening is a necessity in my life. So even with all the chaos I still manage to find solace in getting my hands dirty and tending to plants. I've got two new green when ripe varieties I'm trying this year, Green Giant and Esmerelda Golosina.

I understand. Im not on very often either. Much to do with prepping for gardens this yar. Hoping to grow far more food for my family and dogs. On our way toward organic and less dependence on the grocery store.

The seeds have sprouted!!!! And they are now under grow lights. Broke down andd bought a large 4 foot shop light and two grow lights . Just need to set that up later tonight before the bulbs get broken or something.

I l;ooked up the specifics on each of the varieties and boy are these green tomatos as facinating as all the other tomatos. Well to be acccurate, when I purchased seed for 25 varieitys a few years ago every one was a red tomato, and typical 6 oz to 1 pound fruits. Now when I look thru that same catalog I easily check off far too many of all colors and sizes of tomatos.

Added red currants this year as a lark; and tie dye too. Seem to remember a white cherry tomato too. And oof course the green tomatos listed above.

Im wondering what I need to do as far as spacing to be able to collect the seeds off these green tomatos for next year....or if I shoould just buy fresh seed.......suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom