Green, watery poo, falling asleep, not eating, but definitely drinking! Thoughts?

chickenlibraria

In the Brooder
Aug 1, 2015
I have a year old barred rock hen that has some pretty nondescript behaviors that I am having a hard time pinpointing what the problem might be. She is one of 8 layers that I have, all are about the same age. They are confined during the day but free range once I get home. I let them all out yesterday and about half an hour later I noticed "Little Girl" was laying in the yard on her side. At first I thought something got her but when I went outside she got up and ran over to a puddle of water and started drinking. I monitored her for few minutes. She stood by herself and started falling asleep. So I scooped her up and brought her inside.

She started drinking lots and lots of water. She actually threw some up on me. So I thought she had something wrong with her crop. I turned her upside down a bit and all the water came out! Her crop was completely empty at that point and has stayed empty. She has little interest in eating. I can get her to drink a little.

I gave her some deworming meds thinking that she might have worms. But at this point I'm not sure that's the problem. Her stools are very, very watery and green. I've attached a picture.
little girl poo.JPG

I've been to my local Agway twice. Today they thought it could be dehydration. I've called a local vet who told me she treats chickens. She told me to call the tractor supply. So I called two of them. I can't seem to figure out what could be going on. I put Little Girl back outside and she ran around for a few minutes but then fell over on her side (much like I found her yesterday).

I have her on antibiotics at this point hoping that something will help (Duramycin). Could it be coccidiosis? Oh, they had access to our compost pile. I keep the coop pretty clean. The run has a cover over half of it but the other half is exposed to the elements. It's been very rainy and cold here. None of the other chickens are showing symptoms. I'm planning on cleaning out the coop and run again tomorrow for safe measures.

I checked to make sure she isn't egg bound. She's not. We can cross that one off the list.

Any ideas? I've been reading backyard chickens all day and all I can say is that I am hopelessly confused. Little Girl is hanging in there. Here's a pic of her from earlier today.
little girl.JPG

I would try massaging her crop, it could be it's plugged up. I had a similar instance last year will a hen that kept drinking. After emptying out all the water I gently massaged her crop. Did it the next day too, and she was fine after that, so just a suggestion.

I would try massaging her crop, it could be it's plugged up. I had a similar instance last year will a hen that kept drinking. After emptying out all the water I gently massaged her crop. Did it the next day too, and she was fine after that, so just a suggestion.
I'll give it a shot. I'm willing to do anything at this point. Her crop seems pretty flat but I will definitely take another look tomorrow and report back. Thank you for replying!

Can you take her to the vet?

Having a fecal float performed on a fresh poop sample can help rule out Cocci, worms and bacterial infection.

Watch to see that she does drink, chickens can become dehydrated quickly. Offer her some poultry vitamins and wet feed along with a little chopped egg to see if she will eat.

When was the last time she laid an egg? Feel her abdomen to see if there is any bloat, swelling or if it feels like it has fluid in it.

Keep us posted.

Hi all:
I'm going to call the vet this AM. She's the one who told me to call tractor supply. I'm going to be pretty firm that I need someone to see her and do a fecal analysis.

Little Girl is the same this AM. I've given her a syringe full of antibiotic water since I have no idea what's going on.

I'm not bathing her since I'm not sure what that will do. She is not egg bound-abdomen is fine, tested for egg yesterday. Her crop is completely empty (she's not eating).

I fear that if I don't get this diagnosed and treated asap she'll start declining rapidly.

Any other thoughts? There's a pic of her and her poo above.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom