Greener Pasture's Farm Chick Starter Recipe #3

No, they aren't ground. If you're already feeding ground then you just have to switch gradually and make sure they have plenty of grit. As Ronda (Greeener Pastures Farm) says, "Who grinds up grains for them in the wild?" She also said to expect a temporary drop in egg production as they adjust but they will waste less feed when it's whole grain. I like that!

I mixed up this recipe for my chicks and ducklings, but then ordered organic chick starter and have been feeding a mix of the 2 and also coconut flakes, and some mealworm treats. Also I keep giving them some weeds, alfalfa hay, etc. It is amazing how fast they grow and how quickly they eat anything green! Well how fast they eat period!

Sounds great! I'll be doing worms and was thinking about the coconut too. I can't believe how much there is to learn but I think I'm finally getting really close to getting those chicks!
ya.gif

LauraN : no I don't grind my ingredients for my hens, just wasn't sure if the chicks could handle the whole grains. Makes sense though, no one would grind it up for them in the wild!
lol.png
I will be trying this recipe. Thanks for the post!

Quote:
check out this link: http://www.cocofeed.com/index.html

Coconut
oil is super good for you, and I got the idea for coconut feed for poultry when I was searching for an alternative to the soy and fishmeal protein in all the standard poultry feed. I ended up getting the organic stuff shipped in, and it cost more for shipping than the feed:( I'm not crazy about it having soy in it, but I couldn't find feedback on anyone feeding Rhonda's recipe and wanted to make sure I didn't short them some important ingredient. Since they don't sell the cocofeed yet, that I could find, I decided adding coconut flkes to my feed was the next best thing.

Chicks wouldn't be eating any of those foods in the wild, though. They'd be eating softer foods. Some of that is pretty big for day old chicks. If it was me, I'd grind it, to start. Chicks grow really fast and could handle larger food fairly soon. Just my opinion.

Just wanted to update. I got my 8 chicks last Thurs. and Fri. One died on Monday
hit.gif
but something was wrong with her when we got her. 2 more were starting to sleep alot and I started soaking the grains before they get them. They are back to normal!!!
clap.gif
So, if you use this recipe it's probably best to soak. Ronda (Greener Pasture's) says you CAN but didn't say it was necessary. Some of the grains do seem big but the chicks seem fine now that their grains are soaked. Hope this helps someone.

That's great to hear! I soaked some seeds in kefir for mine and they liked it once they got the idea. It's supposed to be good for them. are you using garlic and ACV in your water?

That's a great idea! I'll try that. Yes, I'm using garlic and ACV in the water. I have to be careful not to put too much of either or they don't like it. They shake their heads when they drink it, like "whew that's gross."
tongue.gif
That's after they get desparate enough to drink it.

Back
Top Bottom