greener pen?

Cheyred

Hatching
Oct 5, 2015
I live in the desert, so our pen is all dirt and sand. Any ideas on how to make it greener for them? I have thought about potted plants, but my chickens love to be messy

I live in the desert, so our pen is all dirt and sand. Any ideas on how to make it greener for them? I have thought about potted plants, but my chickens love to be messy
Any living plant will soon be dead, dirty, or gone. I have no idea how many chickens/birds you have, but here's a few ideas I have used to make a bird room, coop, or run more attractive. I've used plastic plants/trees/ivy and they sure do make a place look better plus they are washable. Some green outdoor carpeting looks good placed right and it too is washable. With one run I planted grape vines on the outside to crawl over the wire. There may even be a list of durable live plants that could be used (not sure on this).

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. X@ on mchls school's post; it's impossible to keep green, growing plants in a chicken enclosure. I just use coarse sand or fine pea gravel in the bottoms of my runs. At least moisture and mold doesn't build up in it and it's relatively easy to hose down and clean. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

welcome-byc.gif
glad you have joined us.

I also have sand in my coop and run. But have planters outside the coop and keep chicken friendly flowers there - but no chicken access directly or the planters will be history :)

Consider adding non-plant activity boosters to their area - flock block, seed/treat balls or just scattered seeds/mealie worms to keep them busy.

welcome-byc.gif
glad you have joined us.

Consider adding non-plant activity boosters to their area - flock block, seed/treat balls or just scattered seeds/mealie worms to keep them busy.
X2 on sunflour's post. Also you hang cabbage heads from a piece of twine where your chickens can peck at it. They will love it. :eek:)

Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined the flock. I've yet to try it with my chickens. I have one part of my chickens coop with rye grass. Though right now it's not getting any taller but it's still alive. I just need to plant it on the other side. I try to leave some dirt exposed for dust bathes and for them to get small rocks to help with digestion. As for my peafowl. It's never died on me an is green as ever.

How do I make a Flock Block? And how do I make the block of food itself?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom