Greener than grass!

Mulegirl

Chirping
Mar 10, 2018
Illinois
Hello from Central Illinois.

This is my first time having chickens. I'e always wanted some and have been looking into keeping them for a few years now. My fiance surprised me today with 4 chicks. He called and said "Do you want some chicks?" He read off all the names of what they have and I decided on 2 Americaunas (probably EE to be brutally honest.) And 2 Plymoth Rock. They are supposed to be pullets,but we shall see in a few weeks.

I'm a mom to 4 and I have 1 and a half horses. My 2yr is animal crazy just like her mom.

I'm here to learn and to get feedback on problems that may arise. I THOUGHT I was ready for chickens,but thinking and them actually being here are totally different. Just hoping I do everything right! :)

Welcome Wagon.gif
Welcome to Backyard chickens!

Hopefully the children will help with the chickens. Chores are good for them

Welcome to Backyard chickens. I see you have been doing some research to know you'll be getting EE's instead of anything else a feed store calls them. They are good layers of pastel eggs.

I know you have 1 and a half horses but, what breed is the half horse? And which half did you get?

You may like to check out the "Learning Center," it's the best place to start a poultry education.

I know which half of a horse I would be Diva! Do you? Welcome to BYC and if you can raise a child chicken are easy!

Edit-- goint to phone a friend he is literally a half horse expert but requires supervision so this is a 2 for one deal, @RUNuts and his minder... @KikisGirls Just don't say his name three times in a row or you may be sorry!

Last edited:
Chicken are soooo easy, a little heat, water and food then you get eggs after more food and chicken grit plus oyster shell. Now by heat I'm not referring to easy bake oven heat they don't enjoy the slow cooker. Mine chase me across the yard like they enjoy my company and make me feel spoiled I hope yours do the same for you someday. The two top hens love my wife even more and refuse to squat for me.

Well,i got the half you shove money into. My friend has the half you have to scoop up after! (We share her,my 2yr rides her and my best friends fiance rides her. It's odd,but it works for us.)

I just went to the learning center,thanks for the suggestion. I saw a few interesting topics,can't wait until they are old enough for some starter treats. :)

G’Day from down under Mulegirl :frow Welcome and Congratulations! :clap

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

You might want to also Find Your State Thread and pop in and say hello.

BYC has Topic of the Week discussions which I have found to be a great resource, informative and sometimes entertaining; so definitely worth checking out.

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your flock or horses, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Back
Top Bottom