Greensboro Chicken mom, new to page

WittyMC

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 20, 2013
Good Morning!!
I am new to raising chickens, and can't imagine how I lived so long without them!! I live in the city and bought 4 chickens this past April. (2 RIR, 2 Silkies) One ended up a Rooster so I had to find him a forever home just last week. Very sad, as he was so tame and loved to sit in my lap. The man who will keep him gave me a Hen as a trade. She was already laying, but stopped I assume from the stress of the move.
SO, my girls are still getting used to one another and slowly making progress. Is it normal after a few days for them to still be afraid of each other? My RIR will leave the nesting area several time before settling in with the "new girl". The other girls were all raised together, so they still snuggle when they sleep. I hate to see Etta left out :(
Also, does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the new one to not be afraid of ME? I just want us all to live in perfect harmony :D

Hello in Greensboro! I'm not too far away near the Jordan Dam side of Sanford. I also have a silkie and plan on getting a couple more and a few Ameraucanas. I also have two pekin ducks (girl/boy pair) a red wydondette and two black barred rocks. I just got my flock going over the past two weeks and I am also new to the BYC. I am having to keep my silkie in a large tote inside until she get bigger because she is the baby and is getting plucked by my larger flock. Silkies are so sweet. I plan to get a few more so maybe she wont get picked on so bad. I hope your flock is getting along better and anytime you want to chat just let me know! Happy flocking lol! Nice to meet you!

Nice to meet you!!
My 4 girls are all getting along well and as of now only 1 is laying eggs. I expect my RIR will start laying any day!
I hope to make it to the State fair this year because I hear the display of chickens is amazing! Who knew I would ever get so obsessed!

Back
Top Bottom