Greetings ... and a Question

I haven't spoken with them. I'm not sure what to think about chickens that are basically just out living their lives, roaming through the neighboring yards; the neighbors pay no attention to the chickens that are out running loose as though they aren't even there. Do they belong to them? I guess they probably did at some point ... are they now considered strays? It's a very strange situation.

Welcome to BYC. If you feel comfortable speaking to your neighbors fine, if not, don't. You said they roost in trees and roam the neighborhood, they sound homeless to me, so if you want to keep feeding them, do so. (A grower feed would work for them, since there are young ones in the flock.)
I'm sure the chickens appreciate your efforts. I know that I do, I always appreciate someone with a kind heart.

It sounds to me like they are just letting their birds roam free. All chickens look for food constantly when they're out foraging so that behavior doesn't make me think they're being neglected. I would not feed them unless you talk to your neighbors. They might have food out for them but the chickens prefer to roam (which would also be totally normal). Mine roam all day then come have crumble before going into the coop. Definitely speak to your neighbors because there are a lot of assumptions going on here.

Back
Top Bottom