1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Greetings (and questions) from NYC

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by unmistakablySam, Aug 30, 2015.

1. unmistakablySam

unmistakablySam Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2015
    Hey everyone! I'm extremely new to this and would all the help I can get it. I live in NYC and I want to raise some chickens (4-5) and have the back yard space necessary to do this. I have most of my bases covered, incubation, chicken coop, etc. But one main question remains, HOW AND WHERE DO I GET THESE BABY CHICKENS?

Most of the places I saw have a minimum and I'm leaning towards using Ideal. But does anyone know of any places in/around NYC that I can get the chicks from instead of getting them online?

Any help and suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Type New York in the search bar at the top of the page. Several 'state' threads will appear, and perhaps someone there can help locate/obtain chicks.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

4. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG]

In addition to checking your state thread here on BYC, you can also consider other stores associated with livestock. For example, Tractor Supply, Family Farm and Home, feed stores, etc. I know our local Family Farm and Home has fall chicks on sale right now.

Good luck locating them!!!

5. chickens r life

chickens r life Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2015
    The Golden State
    Welcome to byc!!

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Another option--one that I always do--is to order the minimum number of pullets (more chicks ship better), even if I don't need that many and sell off the extras. Since I have the order form showing I ordered pullets, I've never had any trouble selling off the extras and recouping my money. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your chicks.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. unmistakablySam

unmistakablySam Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2015
    Hey everyone, time really does fly! This was one of the first posts I made back when I initially thought about getting chickens and fast forward to today when my chickens laid their first eggs! Thank's for all your help and welcoming me to the community!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by