Greetings and Salutations!

StrawberryMoon

Chirping
Jul 22, 2016
Indiana, USA
Hello,

I have enjoyed reading through lots of wonderful info on this site, and now I have an account so I can join in the discussions! I am a new farmer focusing mostly on fruits and vegetables, but I plan to incorporate chickens into my orchards next spring. I am trying to learn as much as I can now, so I will be prepared to care for them when the time comes. I am looking for a docile breed that free ranges well, and right now I am leaning towards faverolles. I am open to all input and suggestions! I am located in central Indiana, and am actively searching for a reputable breeder of straight run salmon faverolles within a 5 hour drive. I prefer not to mail order chicks. I am also interested to hear if *anyone* manages to keep roosters. I am willing to go to considerable effort to avoid killing extra roosters, if there is a way to do it. Looking forward to meeting other chicken enthusiasts and learning from this wonderful community!

Cheers,

Laura

Hi :welcome Laura

Glad you could join us here! The learning Center has some great articles on all your questions, I'm sure of you pop by there you wil, find it most helpful. Here is the link ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Wishing you the very best of luck and be sure to ask any questions. The forum really does have a section for everything.

Enjoy BYC :frow

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

If you have enough space, you can keep multiple roosters. As long as they each have a harem of hens, (the preferred ratio is 1 roo to 8 to 10 hens) and they have their own space, usually there is a fair amount of peace. And especially if these boys grew up together, they are less likely to want to kill each other. Lots of people keep multiple roosters on the same farm.

Definitely follow the link to our learning center as Yorkshire Coop has left for you. Lots of helpful articles on all the aspects of keeping poultry.

Great to have you aboard and welcome to our roost! :)

Nice to meet you Laura. Many folks are forgoing having roosters. If they don't need fertile eggs for selling or hatching, they are happier without them. Hens will continue to lay just as much albeit non fertile eggs which won't hatch. They are also less stressed and not having feathers pulled or scratched off.

Thanks everyone for all the welcomes and information!

Clarification on the rooster question: I do know that roosters are not necessary for egg production, that they are very difficult to keep, and that most people choose not to keep any roosters, or at most one rooster. I am just wondering if it is possible to accommodate the roosters rather than kill them. I have only read accounts of one person who has tried this, and that person reportedly had success by housing the hens separately from the roosters. I can try this technique, but if anyone else is out there making this effort, I would love to hear what is working and what is not working!

I am heading over to check out that learning center now. Thanks again!

Cheers,

Laura

Thanks everyone for all the welcomes and information!

Clarification on the rooster question: I do know that roosters are not necessary for egg production, that they are very difficult to keep, and that most people choose not to keep any roosters, or at most one rooster. I am just wondering if it is possible to accommodate the roosters rather than kill them. I have only read accounts of one person who has tried this, and that person reportedly had success by housing the hens separately from the roosters. I can try this technique, but if anyone else is out there making this effort, I would love to hear what is working and what is not working!

I am heading over to check out that learning center now. Thanks again!

Cheers,

Laura
You might stop by our Managing Your Flock forums and ask this question. Lots of people are in the same position you are and wonder how to make it work. It can if done properly in most cases. So you might start a new thread on this here... https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/2/managing-your-flock

Good luck! :)

Back
Top Bottom