Greetings and Salutions from Sweet Home Alabama

What Michael says is true - Chihuahuas,Doxies and Yorkies are among the "surprise" chicken killers. I never would have suspected them if so many new members hadn't written about their tales of woe. I think a survey was done and the top killers(predators) of chickens was Raccoons and 2nd. was dogs either the owners or the neighborhood loose dog groups. Generally dogs + chicks = dead chickens. You never hear of chickens killing a dog. Mainly dogs and chickens SHOULD NOT MEET.

welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome. And I will take extra care with the dog situation. All of them are inside dogs, they do not stay outside unsupervised so I'm hoping that will help. I do know we have raccoons, since my Mama had chickens on this same piece of property before and that was her problem. Raccoons and owls. I am still in the stages of trying to decide on the placement and type of coop but have all these issues in mind. Again, thanks to everyone for the advice and the links to some helpful information.

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome. I do know we have raccoons, since my Mama had chickens on this same piece of property before and that was her problem. Raccoons and owls.
Be sure and use hardware cloth instead of chicken wire as there are a number of predators (including raccoons) that can tear through chicken wire, or squeeze through the openings in the mesh. Also, but sure and either use double action latches or padlocks in the doors as raccoons can readily figure out how to open single action latches.

Back
Top Bottom