Greetings fro Southern California!

dezertgirl

Hatching
8 Years
Aug 28, 2011
Hi everyone! I have been raising poultry on and off since my dad brought home 4 Rhode Island Red hens when we lived in Upstate NY and I named every one: Susie, Henrieta, Penny and Priscilla. That was a few years ago and I moved to SoCal in 1998 ans it wasn't long before we bought acreage and had to fill it!
I now have a small flock of self-perpetuating Black Cochin Bantams, some miscellaneous crossbreed hens and I have discovered ducks! I have Pekins, Welsh Harlequins, Indian Runners, Mallards and Orpingtons and a cool Crested White drake. Just gotta love that pompom on his head!
Besides these fowl, I have a Royal Palm turkey named Ted and the ducks are the love of his life. I think I really need to find him his own hen...lol.
I also have 2 horses, and APHA breedstock mare and her half-Morgan daughter who is just 2 years old and a couple AMHA A-registered miniature horse mares. I raise Colored Angora Goats and have one Nubian doe. That and a couple cats and dogs: a Boerboel, an Akita and a German Shepherd. They all get along with the birds and help join forces against the evil coyotes. =-)
I am here to mingle amongst the experts on fowl and expect me to post some questions about ducks. I will be working on my profile and hopefully I can post some pix somewhere...still checking it out. Feel free to contact me any time!

welcome-byc.gif
frow.gif
from Modesto

Funny how Akitas and GSDs seem to go together.

Sounds like everything is ducky in Southern Cal

Check in on the California thread

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=565482&p=1

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

Welcome to a wonderful, informative forum. You already are so experienced and knowledgeable. I am a newbie both to this forum and to poultry. Wish you lived nearer - I have always wanted colored angoras!
living on a small farm in rural Western Maryland with 1 border collie, 1 young Irish water spaniel hooligan, 3 Pyrenean shepherds, a six pack of 6 week old Pyr Shep puppies, 4 Lipizzans, Clun Forest and Clun/Shetland cross sheep, my wonderful son, and the best husband EVER. The dogs compete in conformation, agility, obedience, hunt tests, perform musical freestyle, and herd sheep. The horses do tricks, dabble in dressage, and are decorative pasture ornaments. The sheep work hard teaching dogs herding. And I have no control over the menfolk, who do whatever they want...
Www.madcap.name

Back
Top Bottom