Greetings from a new member :-)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by LynnsFlock, Sep 25, 2016.

1. LynnsFlock

LynnsFlock Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2016
    Hello all! I have been reading many articles on this forum for months (great advice, thank you everyone!) and finally created an account today :) I am new to chicken raising (5 months), and have looked through this forum for advice on building a larger coop, secure fencing for their run, the best feed and treats, even advice when we lost one to a raccoon (figured that one out too from the help here) :(
    We still have 5 Lavender Ameraucauna Hens (not laying yet), one lavy roo (they are about 3 months old), and an older Easter Egger Roo, that came from our first set of chicks (5 months).
    We recently finished our 12x8 coop (old pallets and scrap wood) and everyone has moved in happily. Since moving day, I have noticed they rarely go out into the run, at first I thought they just loved all our hard work so much ;-), but came on here today to see why they really aren't coming out. Seems like with the change they feel safer in there, and after the raccoon (was about 4 weeks ago now), I don't blame them for taking their time. So I won't worry yet, lol.
    Well just wanted to say hello, and again, a major thank you to everyone's great posts on here on how to properly raise, house, and protect the chickens. I have grown very attached to them and don't want to see another pile of feathers ever again, although I know I must keep my guard up. I look forward to now being able to talk and ask chicken questions, rather then sitting on the side lines searching my odd questions ;-)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

1 person likes this.
  3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, LynnsFlock, and :welcome. Great to have you in our community. Glad you have found BYC useful! Best wishes to you and your birds! :)

1 person likes this.
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sorry for your loss. Have you checked out the predator threads? A great way to get suggestions and advice on predator proofing. Everything loves (to eat) chicken.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. LynnsFlock

LynnsFlock Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2016
    Thank you Drumstick. Yes I did, unfortunately after the fact :( We never had any issues for months until that night... common story eh! The chickens were in 2 of those Doc Bob TSC kennel runs (attached to make one big run) with a pre-fab coop in the middle, but b/c I never had problems, I didn't lock them in the pre-fab. One night, it cost me a young hen, and another's wing (she survived and is actually doing amazing considering).
    The following day, I bought about $300 of hardware cloth and cracked the whip on finishing the new coop!
    Knock on wood, we haven't had any signs or attacks since, but I know the flock is traumatized. The farm dog (a german shepherd) now is out in the run at night (she's fine with the chickens, but prefers to be in the pasture or barn guarding "her" horses lol), motion lights, auto-door on new coop, and bedroom window open ;-)
    I did see to attach the cloth with washers, and even the penny tip (awesome! so much cheaper!), and secure them in between wood. Great advice, I would have used staples on the building and zip ties on the run! Glad for the advice on here, never would have thought of it. And, I did tell my local TSC, they really should take responsibility and explain chicken wire doesn't protect all those chicks they sell, explain the strength and lack of easy access with the cloth.... and since it's 3x's the price, who upstairs would argue!

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

1 person likes this.
  7. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us. It now seems like your chickens are in their version of Fort Knox - good for you.

Best wishes
    CT

1 person likes this.
  8. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hi there and welcome to Backyard chickens!! I am glad you took action and you pampered little babies are now in safer living conditions. As sad as it is, I think many of us have to lose a chicken or two one night before we take extra precautions to make sure they are as safe as possible. I know I did. Happy chickening!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by