Greetings from AK

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by AuroraChick, Feb 3, 2013.

1. AuroraChick

AuroraChick New Egg

Feb 3, 2013
    AK
    Hi! I am a former suburbanite beginning to live out a "farmette" dream in Homer, AK. We moved here last August and now are beginning to get things into shape. We just got two goats and are starting to plan for chickens. Our place came with two chicken coops. They need a little cleaning and one run needs some serious weed whacking since it hasn't been used in a few years. The other one never had a run added and was never used, aside from storing plant start trays and such. As spring sloooowly approaches, we are starting some of our rehab projects. We hope to get some chicks locally and are researching breeds and caring for chickens.

My daughters are so excited about the idea of having chickens. My youngest wants to name them after Disney princesses. I did warn her that the day could come when we would be serving Ariel for dinner. After 3 daughters, I have to say the idea is rather satisfying in a sick, twisted way (a little sick of Disney princesses)! [​IMG]

This site has been so helpful so far and I have really enjoyed looking at all of the projects that other people have done. I have gotten some really great ideas! I can't wait to get to know you all better!
    -Jo

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Jo, welcome to BYC and our poultry community. You might want to go to the "Social" forum, click on 'Where am I? Where are you!', and locate the Alaska thread.

3. Desert

Desert Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2013
    Central Oklahoma
    Greetings from Oklahoma!

I totally relate about the princesses ;)

Alaska would be a dream location to live.

We are currently looking for a place to call 'home' permanently with lots of land and privacy and Alaska is at the top of a short list for us.

Take care and have fun with those coops!

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Jo, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined our flock! I think it is super you are involving your daughters - so many great lessons to be learned by raising chickens. Good luck to you and your eventual chickens!!

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

6. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

Goats are the best weedwackers and recyclers ever invented - they will demolish just about any weed, shrub or other unwanted (or wanted) foleage and turn it into fertilizer. Turn them out into the areas that need to be cleaned up and you will be amazed at the results.

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

8. Big Lake AK

Big Lake AK New Egg

Feb 3, 2013
    Big Lake, AK
    Hey There! I'm from Big Lake. Welcome.

9. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad to have you aboard. :thumbsup

10. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

[​IMG] and [​IMG] from S. Florida! Glad you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by