Greetings from BC, Canada!!

Chickax2 Boomx2

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 14, 2014
Hi there, my name is Michelle and I'm living in the beautiful Okanagan Valley, British Columbia.

As a child I loved to play with my cousin's chickens... I always dreamed of having them someday myself! Well, it's been kicking around in the back of my head for a couple years now, so when my husband and all four of my best friends left town this summer for a few weeks I decided to rip apart my flower bed, build a coop (out of free pallets!), and buy a few chickens to surprise them all when they got home.

Ummmm... I don't suggest that to anyone out there. But anyhoo, all is well now and I have three lovely little hens as that is all my city bylaws will allow: 1 x Australorp, 1 x Lohmann Brown, and 2 x Splash Maran/ Ameraucauna easter egger girls. All are four months old now (another oops -- didn't realize I couldn't have 2 mth old hens in the city), and the Lohmann Brown should be laying any time now.

I've already spent hours and hours obsessing over this site -- I'm looking forward to finally joining now 'for reals', as my teens would say! :eek:)

Welcome to BYC, Michelle. Glad you decided to join our flock. A lot of us were lurkers before joining. :eek:) You have some really good layers. Lohman Brown is one of a number of labels under which some hatcheries market their Red Sex Links, which are produced by crossing a red gene rooster with a silver gene hen. The resulting offspring can be sexed by color at hatching (male chicks are whitish, female chicks are reddish), and they are egg laying machines, outlaying either parent breed. It's one of the interesting quirks of hybridization. Australorps are my favorite standard breed; extremely hardy, calm and gentle (my children, and now my granddaughter, made lap pets of ours), and excellent layers of large, brown eggs. Our Easter Eggers are my granddaughter's (pictured in my avatar) favorite breed. She loves their colored eggs. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Enjoy this new adventure you are on and welcome to our flock!

Back
Top Bottom