Greetings from Cape Cod

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by capecodrancher, Apr 2, 2016.

1. capecodrancher

capecodrancher New Egg

Apr 1, 2016
    Great site. I've picked up tons of valuable info here already, and today I pick out, and bring home my new backyard flock. It will eventually be free range. I will be selecting from a large mixed flock of farm bred Aussies, NH Reds, Barred Rocks, Comets, Buff Orps, Javas, and Welsummers, ranging in age from 2-6 weeks. I plan on bringing home a dozen or so. Any suggestions regarding the selection and mix of pullets would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for having me.

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] glad you have joined us and congrats on getting your own flock.

I have experience only with BR and BO's and love them both. But, likely someone with experience with the others you are considering will post some opinions.

3. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

That's a nice assortment of breeds to choose from. Why not just get 2 of each so you can see how you like each breed? Mixed flocks are so pretty.

Have fun, it's nice to have you here!

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome - ditto NFCs suggestion - the greater variety to begin with speeds up the process of getting to know which birds suit both you and your climate.

All the best
    CT

5. NBwriter

NBwriter Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2016
    west of Boston
    My Coop
    Hi and welcome from a fellow MA newbie chicken person who just joined the site today! I just picked up my starter flock yesterday.... 6 1.5-week chicks (2 each silkie/RI red/barred rock). We live in a town that doesn't allow roosters so we'll have to re-home any that turn out to be males. Looking to add a few more today, would love a few of the pastel layers.

Just wanted to say hi, as it seems we're not just neighbors but at the same stage of the game!
    Cheers from metrowest Boston,
    NBwriter

6. capecodrancher

capecodrancher New Egg

Apr 1, 2016
    Thanks everyone. Two of each sounds like a great plan. I'm going to get them now and will post some photos a little later.
    Good luck to my fellow MA resident. I'm sure we'll stay in touch. Do you get supplies in Bridgewater? Hanson?

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    IF you hover over "NBwriter" user name - it will give you the opp. to send a pm (private message) then you two can correspond outside of this thread.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by