greetings from croatia

rutvica

In the Brooder
Jul 17, 2015
hi!
I joined today and realised I was rude by posting before introducing myself :)
so.... I am new to chickens, and it started a bit chaotic... we moved from town to a small village a few years ago and intended to have chickens...some day. this spring my DH was on a trip in denmark and got a few fertilised eggs as a present. he managed to transport them back home in his pocket, through two airplane flights, two trains and a ferry ride. Since the eggs survived all of that we decided to give them a chance although it was the worst moment. We had nothing prepared, and both of us were living with our baby girl in our tiny bedroom, since we were in the middle of changing all of the windows in the house. We improvised a (very) basic incubator out of an old cooling box and somehow, on the morning of my birthday one chick managed to survive all the ordeals and hach. We didn't want for her to be alone, so we started looking for some really young chickens and we found some three days older than her. In the end we came home with seven new chikens, making that eight total of chicks living with us and baby in our bedroom. It was crazy! but also fun :) After a week we started to take them for "walks" outside since it was warm, and, well...it was crowded in that room :))) They liked it so much that we decided to improvise a small coop and run for them, while building the real thing (we used an old crib and some leftover wood and metal mosquito net). In the evening they automatically went to the small coop we made for them to sleep and since then they are outside in their mini improvised mansion. Currently we are sweating with the foundations for the coop since we live on a slope, so the fun goes on.
I have been reading a lot of byc page and forum and am glad to join.
cheers!

a hearty
welcome-byc.gif
. Glad you joined us. It sounds like you are enjoying your chicks.
smile.png

Welcome to Backyard chickens. What a miracle that any egg survived that trip and hatched. It may not have been the best time but, you solved their housing problem and they are doing well. Congratulations on your efforts.

Hi, welcome to BYC!

You sure had an adventuresome introduction to poultry! Glad to hear you are enjoying the birds and it is working out for you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask...there is a lot of information available here and people willing to share what they know.

Thanks for joining us!

Back
Top Bottom