Greetings From Edmonton

Jonny Anvil

Songster
9 Years
May 25, 2010
Strathcona County, Alberta
Hello fellow enthusiasts,

My name is Jon, Or Jonny Anvil as I am know to many, I just wanted to say a big hello to you all from the Great White North, I reside in Edmonton Alberta.

My Father and myself have recently gotten into raising birds, something that we have both wanted to do for years. Currently we are raising Ringneck Pheasants, have 8 adults 4 males 4 females and 17 chicks in the Brooder all just over a week old. With MANY more to come.

We currently have two 8x8x8 pens for the breeding pairs, 1 male & 2 hens per aviary, and then we have 2 males in an 8x16x8.
All our cages are 8 feet high, as Reeves puts it, you can never have enough space. We are currently in the process of Creating a heated outdoor enclosed Brooder for the chicks to inhabit once they are over 2 weeks old, and eventually they will be put out side into a larger Flyway we are working on currently.

By the end of the Summer, we would like to set up a 40 foot by 100 foot outdoor Communal Flight pen for the Pheasants, with lots of cover shrubbery. We do not plan on having more than 50 birds in this flight pen.

We are also hatching some call ducks, they went into the hatcher today, and we expect them to break free in a couple of days.

My intentions is to build some Chicken Coops as I really would like to get some Buff Orpingtons as well some Plymouth Barred Rocks for eggs.

I have been reading this forum for a while now and thought I would join.

I look forwards to sharing and learning new ways to enhance my setup with fellow members.

Cheers,

Jon

welcome-byc.gif

Thank you all very much for the warm welcoming.

This is a GREAT site, I think Nifty Chicken has something great going on here!

I am 100% new to this, so I will have a few questions here and there, but so far I have been finding answers and very useful hints and tips the more I navigate through this site.

I have never raised birds before, but from the conversation I had last night with my Papa (grandfather), it's in my Blood so to say.
My Great Grandfathers of years gone by were all experienced farmers and have passed down the traits, and as my Papa put it "might just be instinct" for me to raise birds.

I am going to go search now...lol this site for information about building a coop that can withstand the Cold winters we get here in Alberta.

I have a rough idea drawn out thinking a 6x6 split in half, so two sides, kinda like a duplex, with wrap around run on both sides, but separate as well.

Will get my plans up soon.

Cheers

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom