Greetings From Georgia!

TeamDonnelly

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 3, 2014
Hi there!
My name is Salena and this year in February our family added some chickens to our family. We raised them from baby chick. Although we have had many ups and downs(sadly lost 2 chickens) We are very happy to have a flock of chickens to take care of. Our flock consists of 2 Ameruacanas, 1 Cochin, 1 Rhode Island Red, and 1 Leghorn. We also have a Rooster to take care of the girls. Our Red and 1 Ameraucana are laying eggs daily and we will never go back to store bought after enjoying farm fresh eggs! This forum has been a huge help in answering many questions lately so I realized that I needed to make it "official" and actually create a profile. I look forward to learning so much more about taking care of chickens and getting much needed advice from those who have much more experience than myself!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sounds like you have a nice flock, and a colorful egg basket! Those fresh eggs are wonderful aren't they! Sorry about the two chicks you lost :hugs

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

I'm sorry for the loss of your chickens!
hugs.gif
Good luck with the rest of them!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

So glad you could join our community! Nothing better than fresh eggs right from under the hen. Those store bought eggs never compare to those farm fresh eggs!!

Ask any questions you may have here and we do welcome you to our flock!

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us! Feel free to ask lots of questions! We're all here to help.
smile.png

I'm sorry about the chicks you lost.
hugs.gif
But yes, fresh eggs are great! Good luck with your flock.

Welcome to BYC, Salena. Glad you decided to join our flock. A lot of us were lurkers before joining. :eek:) You have an interesting mix of breeds. Before getting a rooster, you might want to add a few more hens to your flock. The recommended ratio of roosters to hens is 1 rooster for every 10 hens as too many roosters (or too few hens) can be very hard on your hens physically; over-breeding them, biting and plucking the feathers from their necks and backs, battering them, and potentially, seriously injuring them. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

The recommended ratio of roosters to hens is 1 rooster for every 10 hens as too many roosters (or too few hens) can be very hard on your hens physically.
Thanks so much for all the kind welcomes! Yes, we added the rooster to the flock when we had 7 hens. But we sadly lost 2 hens and I have noticed the roosters aggressive behavior on the hens, especially on the Rhode Island Red-our first egg layer of the flock. We have thought about adding more hens for sure. Thank you for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom