Greetings from Gilbert, SC!

gilbertine

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 11, 2009
Gilbert, SC
Greetings everyone! I have had chickens most of my adult life, and spent summers with my grandparents on their farm in North Carolina, with their flocks of Rhode Island Reds. They have a special place in my heart, the sweet dispositions of the hens, and even the fierce posturing of a rooster full of himself. My last batch of chickens died off a couple of years ago, and I sort of decided that they did not mix well in my small, rural town with the new element of upper middle class educated urbanites moving out here to pursue the “good life” of small town America. Problem is, when they move out here, they bring their troubles with them: Their rotten, misbehaving, Nintendo raised kids, lawn service, holier than thou attitudes, and their disdain for all things rural, although they opted to move here. Often, large neighborhoods of them are developed next to an old family farm, and eventually drive them off, by complaints over the stuff of farming: aromas, vermin, etc. They also use litigation, property reassessments, and other means that the existing rural element is ill equipped to fight. I have no issue with folks wanting to share a good thing... I moved here from the suburbs twenty-nine years ago myself, but I embraced burning my trash in a barrel with a screen wire over the top. I can’t just stand idly by and watch it anymore, so I have ordered eight “Easter Eggers”, one rooster and seven pullets… My own little bit of activism. We shall see.

welcome-byc.gif

Bring the country life back to the country
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom