Greetings from Homer Glen, Illinois

tiffany+stephen

In the Brooder
Oct 14, 2018
Hi Everyone,

Just joined today. Looking forward to all the advice and inspiration from this community of chicken-loving people. Doing what the site asked and we're posting answers to the following:

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
* We are new, it's our first year. A whole lot of trial and error and just figuring out what seems to make sense. Currently getting the coop and run winterized and ready for a long Chicago winter...*

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
* We have 6, they were hatched March 10, 2018*

(3) What breeds do you have?
*Some of this we know with certainty, some seems open for debate. In our excitement picking out chicks, we didn't notice that the guy who sold them to us seems to have written a couple of the wrong breeds on the little box they came home in. We know we have a Buff Orpington, a Brown Speckled Sussex, and a Cuckoo Maran. Maybe a Wyandotte. Probably a Brahma of some sort. #6...not so sure...*

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
* Just online searching*

(5) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
* We have a large, very sweet 5 year old Akita (who is no friend of chickens, and not something we plan to test out any more than we already have) and 2 indoor cats. Plus, because we live in a somewhat rural area and we have woods and a pond, we see a wide range of outdoor visitors including coyote, raccoon, possum, muskrat, barn owl, hawks, heron, egret, frogs, snakes, turtles, deer etc)

Welcome fellow Midwesterners! I'm over in north central Iowa, and winter with chickens can certainly bring some challenges, including keeping their water flowing. Plus, it seems predators -- like some of the ones you've mentioned -- see our babies as the perfect, easy-to-find winter meal.

Having all different breeds, I'm sure, is giving you a great perspective on the "alleged" personalities of each, although many chickens feel free to break the mold on what we expect them to do or be. It sounds like you have a lovely, diverse flock.

Good luck with winterizing!

Welcome to BYC Stephen and Tiffany! :frow
I feel your pain with your Akita being no friend to chickens. My Doberman lunged at one of my EE when I had him out on leash. He'd merrily wipe out my flock if given the chance. But he did learn that chickens can give one hell of a kick. He figured that out when he hit the poultry netting that is charged with 10,000 volts! ;)

Back
Top Bottom