Greetings from Maine

I have been homesteading for over 50 years. I currently have 9 chickens. 3 white rocks, 2 speckled sussex, 3 barred rocks, and one cheerful golden champine roo. The roo named Rocky is just learning to crow. Not well but he is enthusiastic. I also have 6 ducks. 3 Rouen (2 hens and one drake) , one Peking female, one welsh harlequin female, and one Swedish male. The follow my six geese everywhere. There are 6 of those as well. 3 Brown African and 3 White Chinese. I love each and everyone. Each of the birds have unique personalities which are quite endearing. They love attention and being underfoot or in trouble when ever possible.

Although they have acres to run in, they prefer to be close by. This is a safe plan as there are many predators where I live. They range out with me and I carry a rifle just in case. When they are alone, they hang between the barn and the house. When frightened they run into my garage squawking And hide behind my truck or the tractor. Usually the threat is a hunting hound that is passing through looking for bear.

All human visitors are cheerfully greeted but many are afraid of the geese who just want to say hi. They love the mailman and the UPS driver. They bring treats for the geese and ducks. The mailman brings bread crumbs in a baggie for them everyday. The chickens have learned to run to where the geese are calling so they can get some crumbs as well.

i wouldn’t trade my flock for all the tea in china.
Welcome to BYC!! I had a rooster named Rocky as well! He was an Easter Egger! :)

Back
Top Bottom