Greetings from Northern California!

tinker

Hatching
9 Years
Jul 26, 2010
Hi everybody! I just discovered this place...just what I need. I will soon be a first time chicken keeper.

As I write this, my chicken coop/yard is being completed, and tomorrow is opening day of our County Fair where I hope to learn about and buy some hens from 4-Hers or FFA kids... I have almost EVERYTHING to learn!

My first question: Are some breeds more docile than others? I'd prefer "user-friendly" egg layers, if there is such thing..

I'm a grandmother who lives on the outskirts of a small town with two dogs: Widget and Vader, and an elderly cat named Tinker. I'm sure my new "girls" will have names in no time.

Wish me luck!
big_smile.png

welcome-byc.gif

And yes, some breeds are more docile than others. Check out the breed database at the top of your browser page---but remember: just about all breeds can be made into lap chickens with the proper amount of snuggling.

Buy some "poop pants". Or pull out some pants you dont mind being besmirtched. Wear those during snuggle sessions.

When the chook hit their teens, they will almost all become skittish, this evens out once the hens start laying. Then they need their snuggles again.

Last edited:
Welcome from another northern Californian!
big_smile.png
I hope you enjoy your time here--there is so much to learn and tons of great information, as well as lots of friendly people to befriend.

I think you'll find that there are quite a few breeds of egg layers that also make great pets. I personally keep all of my large flock for a pet/ornamental purpose, and while I have mostly bantams (which don't make the best egg layers but make perfect pets), I also keep a few egg layers around just for the fun of it. I love my buff orpingtons, they're very friendly and great layers. If you do some searches on the forums you ought to find a few other topics about recommendations for breeds that are friendly and productive. Good luck!

I'm back...I want to thank everyone for the welcome, and reiterate what a great place this is! I 've had my chicks (eight of 'em!) less than one day, and already I've had a million questions. With the use of "search", I've found answers (or at least opinions) to every question.

My black german shepard Vader is obsessed with them and just STARES at them in their run constantly! I'm hoping he'll get bored with them eventually. I do sort of like him leaving his scent around the coup hoping that might deter evil critters... the chicks aren't concerned about him at all...

I barely slept last night worrying about the the babies, but everyone was accounted for this AM.

Wow...I'm astonished how many fellow newbies have joined since I did! Busy place!
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom