Greetings from SE Georgia, USA

Glen30458

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 2, 2012
I recently decided I would give raising chickens a chance. We live out in the country on 9 acres of heavily wooded land. We had discussed doing this for some time but planned to wait until spring when many of the local agri supply stores carry chicks. A friend stopped by and I mentioned my plan and he told me he had a friend moving to town who wanted to give away all their chickens. Well, needless to say I began building a run then a coop right away. I have pictures of the run I will post but have not taken pictures of the coop yet (it's kinda ugly but functional and even better built from free materials). Well, about the time I got the run finished a couple of days later I heard from my friend and alas, the chickens were already gone. Not wanting to waste a perfectly good run I searched craigslist and finally found a lady about 30 miles away offering chickens for $5 each. Much better than the $15 each I had been seeing. They were very friendly people and true down home country folk so after we left we had 6 Cochin hens and a Cochin rooster (all just reaching breeding age and a couple that had just started laying), as well as 2 Bantam hens and a lovely Bantam rooster. That's 10 birds and thanks to their generosity, and that's all I had on me, for only $40.

Since introducing the chickens and building the coop I will say I added more perches and made them horizontal to the ground. The original tilted perch the birds didn't seem to like very well as they kept sliding down it. Our 8 and 11 year old have been delighted with not just the chickens but they were also both very involved in building the run and even more so on the coop. Later I'll be posting what I have learned and probably be asking many questions. I'm new to all this so please be patient with me.

Looking forward to being a part of this community. I've gotten many great ideas from here already.

Sincerely,
Glen

Greetings from Kansas, Glen, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you aboard! Sounds like you jumped right into the poultry game! Sounds like you're doing great. Best of luck to you!

and welcome from NC. I always tell my hubby that the chickens don't care if the coop is ugly or if i can't cut a straight line or if the whole thing is a few degrees off kilter
wink.png
. they love it and me anyways! Enjoy your flock...

Back
Top Bottom