Greetings from Stallings NC

maychick111

Hatching
May 10, 2015
Hello everyone! New to the forum and to the area. I don't currently have chickens but hope to change that. However, I learned that the current ordinance for my town requires two acres for chickens...even when all of the surrounding areas allow urban chickens. Grrr. So, what do I do? Get them anyways? Change the rules? Anyone else here having this issue?

Welcome to BYC!

For some ideas on how to change your ordinances, take a look at this article in the Learning Center:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-laws-and-ordinances-and-how-to-change-them

Please don't get the chickens until the ordinances change. There have been posts of people doing that very thing, they get attached to their birds only to have to get rid of them when they are discovered. Having to get rid of birds is stressful on the owners and the birds too and it isn't always easy finding a new place for them.

Good luck to you in getting your ordinances changed.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join our flock. I'm sorry about your ordinances, but as much as I hate those kind of ordinances, and as much as it pains me to say it, I think NorthFlChick has given you some good advice. :eek:( Your best bet is to try and get the ordinances changed. Sometimes BYC members have been successful at doing it. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your ordinances changed.

Last edited:
If you try to get by having stealth chickens you can be sure some neighbor will be happy to turn you in. Unless you have a plan B where someone is willing to take your birds at a moment's notice, I wouldn't chance it.

Thanks all. I don't want to break the rules and be constantly stressed about the chickens and getting reported, etc. So, I am going to try and change the rules. I managed to get my hands on the minutes from a vote by our town council in 2009 where they voted down a change in the text to allow backyard chickens 5:1. There were two people who spoke against the chickens and no one was there to speak for them. Seems weird. Where we the people that initially tried to get the rules to change? Anyways, If anyone has any insight on what I do next, that would be awesome. I also posted in the section about how to change ordinances. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom