Greetings from the Cheeseline!

BillNole

Hatching
5 Years
Finally! Our local town council has just voted to allow up to six chickens be kept in town, after much debate.

My wife and I have talked about wanting chickens since being stationed in HI 25 years ago and enjoying the sounds of neighbors with chickens while living there. Everywhere we've lived since hasn't allowed it and my wife is averse to living outside of shouting distance from neighbors. (I'd prefer it, but marriage is all about compromise and I understand her concerns with me travelling so much for work...)

We're planning to spend the Fall/Winter researching and hope to get started next Spring. It's too early to say what we'll do as far as numbers and coop size/location/design, but this site looks like it's going to be a great resource!

I'm looking forward to learning from everyone's experiences, both in terms of what to do and what NOT to do.

Thanks in advance to everyone!

Welcome to Backyard Chickens. How nice that your town will allow 6 hens. So many people are Up the creek because their HOA or or city will not permit them. But often allow them to have guineas or ducks. Go figure. The Learning Center is a great place to start. It has answers to questions you don't even have yet.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Congratulations! It's so exciting to be able to get chickens. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Do you have any particular breeds in mind?

Thanks for the kind replies. We are indeed excited and in fact, we're a bit surprised at just how excited we are!

I get the concerns people have regarding the pitfalls of having neighbors with chickens, but it's little different than our neighbor with two - two hundred pound Great Pyrenees dogs that bark nearly non-stop at all hours.

Chickens too can have their drawbacks, but we intend to be as good with them as we are with our three dogs that you'd never know we have if you didn't see them outside running around regularly. If they bark, we go investigate why and address it.

We haven't even begun to think of what types yet, but I've enjoyed reading so many thoughts and opinions. This site is great and has already provided a wealth of information! I've also enjoyed the general tone of the site, which seems to have a good balance of good all around information.

Thanks again and I look forward to getting to know a whole new group of online friends!

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

Feel free to ask lots of questions! We're all here to help.
smile.png

Funny thing... My wife and I took two of our dogs to a local pet fair this morning. I struck up a conversation with one of the exhibitors that was telling me about all her animals and when she mentioned chickens, I commented on the recent decision to allow them in our town. The first words out of her mouth after that were "if you're getting started with chickens, you have to visit a website called back yard chickens." I busted out laughing and agreed with her, telling her I'd found it just last night and spent much of the evening reading.

Great stuff here!

Back
Top Bottom