Greetings from the Eggsitentialist

Eggsistentialist

Songster
Sep 11, 2019
Hey! I'm the Eggsitentialist. I have been working on a very small farm, just me and the owner, 4 greenhouses, 18 hens, and my very first roo. The gals belong to the owner and are a mix of BR, Reds, Orpingtons, Easter eggers and a senior Australorp. The rooster is a 21 week old BR, and mine. I rescued him from a friend who ended up with 4 in the 5 chicks she got this past spring. The other 3 roosters and the hen were so mean to him, he was living in the garden, exposed to predators and the elements (which was sadly better than getting killed by the other 4), and needed to be rehomed asap. Me being the girl that can never say no to an animal in need agreed to take him off their hands, and give him a safer environment to call home. Handsome devil, and sweet as can be (if you can catch him, he melts in your arms). I'm so glad we crossed paths!

I am new to roosters, and want to make sure I am doing everything right. I isolated him for a couple of weeks before adding him to the nesting box we use to intro new chicks to our flock. He is a perfect fit. He loves the girls, having a roof over his head and all the bugs a guy can scratch! What more could you want!? He had never crowed before he met me and the girls, now he's quite proud of himself and lets us know, often. Our youngest hen is 2 years old, our oldest is 8. So he is quite young comparatively, but within an hour of integrating into the flock, they all know who's boss!

I've called him Shakespeare, The Barred Bard. I know, I know... its punny and corny, but I like it! And I may be biased, but I think hes the bestest.

Thank you for welcoming me to your community! I have already used so much of the info posted on here to introduce him, and it has been invaluable!

Welcome to BYC.
:yesss: We are glad you joined this flock!
Jump right in and make yourself at home.

This video will help you learn how to navigate this site (how to upload photos too):

Coop Ideas:
Chicken Coops.

What exactly did you Google to get here? <<<<<<<<<<<

BYC has an APP!
Thank you very much! We have a well established coop, so we are all set there. We've had hens for about 8 years (the first group was only 3 that predate my farm job by 2 years) Our current flock is mostly 2-3 years old, with a couple of 5yr olds, and one senior lady who is 8.

I googled "how to introduce a young rooster to an established flock" and found this site. It popped up with every question I googled, so thought... what the "hay" why not join!?

I look forward to many future posts as I learn as much as I can aout and for my sweet Bard.

Back
Top Bottom