Greetings from The Leafy Interior!

armoredblob

In the Brooder
Sep 21, 2020
Greetings! My partner and I have a small backyard flock of 5 chickens: 3 Rhode Island Reds, 1 Buff Orpington, and a Silkie roo. We got into poultry initially for the egg production but are now considering breeding and selling hatching eggs or chicks. We would ideally like to have the Maran's dark chocolate eggs, so may procure a new BC Maran roo (hen incoming, see below).

We love our chickens! We live in Upstate NY, in the US, so the climate is cool and wet in spring, mild to hot in summer, and very cold in winter. Right now, the weather is hovering in the 60s-70s with a lot of sunshine. It's been dry for a bit, and the chickens are enjoying free-ranging. We are going to acquire a Black Copper Maran and an additional (broody) Buff Orpington tomorrow. They have a sturdy coop, a chicken run, and free-range most days on our 1 acre of property. This property is heavily wooded, with a large expanse of grass and other plants. We're going to put in raised hugelkulture (permaculture technique) beds in the spring. Right now, they scratch and peck at the grass, the scratch grains and feed we offer, and oyster shell we put out. We are considering moving to mash instead of pellets, as we can get that locally and think it would be healthier.

My partner has been a member of BYC for awhile and consults here for all things chicken. I am here because I want to understand our poultry and learn from the wealth of experience that everyone here offers.

Thanks for reading!

Greetings! My partner and I have a small backyard flock of 5 chickens: 3 Rhode Island Reds, 1 Buff Orpington, and a Silkie roo. We got into poultry initially for the egg production but are now considering breeding and selling hatching eggs or chicks. We would ideally like to have the Maran's dark chocolate eggs, so may procure a new BC Maran roo (hen incoming, see below).

We love our chickens! We live in Upstate NY, in the US, so the climate is cool and wet in spring, mild to hot in summer, and very cold in winter. Right now, the weather is hovering in the 60s-70s with a lot of sunshine. It's been dry for a bit, and the chickens are enjoying free-ranging. We are going to acquire a Black Copper Maran and an additional (broody) Buff Orpington tomorrow. They have a sturdy coop, a chicken run, and free-range most days on our 1 acre of property. This property is heavily wooded, with a large expanse of grass and other plants. We're going to put in raised hugelkulture (permaculture technique) beds in the spring. Right now, they scratch and peck at the grass, the scratch grains and feed we offer, and oyster shell we put out. We are considering moving to mash instead of pellets, as we can get that locally and think it would be healthier.

My partner has been a member of BYC for awhile and consults here for all things chicken. I am here because I want to understand our poultry and learn from the wealth of experience that everyone here offers.

Thanks for reading!
Hello! Welcome to our

Thanks for reading!
Hello! Welcome to BYC! I hope you enjoy our WONDERFUL comunity! I hope your hatching goes great! Fill us in along the way! :welcome :frow

Back
Top Bottom