Greetings from Tucson!

sebTucson

In the Brooder
Jan 30, 2015
Hello!

I just wanted to introduce myself and my flock. I "inherited" a beautiful garden and a flock when I moved into this house, but many of them are more senior ladies so I've added 4 new faces. We live in the lovely Tucson, AZ where I work as a biologist. I also have a few horses, dogs and a skink.

I decided to join this group because I've found it to be invaluable! I am currently nursing a hen who was attacked by a dog, is gimpy, has a nasty puncture wound and I was completely at a loss on how to help her before I found this sight - [washing it 2x a day with betadine scrub, flushing the puncture with diluted apple cider vinegar and coating it with vetricyn and antibiotic ointment. Penicillin IM once a day for 4-7 days. Shes inside in the hospital (laundry room) at night and out with the flock during the day, but separated in a rabbit hutch. Shes alert, eating and drinking, so Im hoping the infection just clears up and she heals...happy to hear any suggested changes in her care plan!]. I do have a history with parrot breeding, raising and sales so I know how to deal with them but thats an entirely different world!

Right now my flock includes:
Glamtrack- A 6 year old, totally obnoxious old English bantam rooster. He's a total punk who loves to attack feet, but he's tiny and has adorable little crows (which Im sure he thinks are very rugged and manly).
Ducky - a 6 year old, extremely cute old English bantam hen. She's Glamtrack’s main squeeze, but shes a bit slow. She often gets 'stuck' behind trees and corners and needs to be herded back into their enclosure at night.
The Frizzle - a 4 year old bantam frizzle cochin. She is exactly what you'd imagine- a tiny red mop who literally only has 'standing' and 'running' in her movement repetior with no deviation. She is incredibly unfortunate looking at molting time.
Little Gray Hen - a 2 year old bantam cochin. Mostly feral and nicknamed 'the ghost' since she stands behind you most of the time and you'll only get glimpses in your periphery.
Mystery Chicken - three year old bantam auracana. She was a difficult one to ID and the name stuck. Shes incredibly broody, and will halfheartedly peck at anyone who dares take her babies away. Luckily, her aim is terrible!
Leggy (Sharky)- Not sure what she is-medium sized, black with orange brown neck. Has incredibly long legs and a scar that makes her look like a shark bite victim. She is also incredibly broody and is much more defensive than Mystery Chicken.
Obrahma - 3 year old, large, orange Brahma. Not super friendly, but will pretend if you have food.
Snuggle Chicken - 7(!) year old Buff Orpington. Incredibly sweet and will follow you around like a lap dog. If you do not bend down and hug her, she'll peck at your pants until you do.
Meg Gray - 4 year old white Barred Rock. Amicable, to everything. If she was running for office, she'd be in independent.
Furball - 4 year old, MASSIVE Auracana. She is also at least partly an emu, as her eggs are impossibly large.
Mopsie - 2 year old Polish Crested. Shes incredibly friendly if you approach from her left, but very flightly if you approach from her right....mostly because her vision on that side is entirely obscured by her crest.
The Babies:
Hawk-
6 month old white laced wyandotte. She is huge and ambivalent to all. She also has an unusually predatory face, and is a bit of a bully- despite being near the bottom of the pecking order.
Mary Poopins- 6 month old Auracana. She is incredibly sweet, though a bit stand-offish if you approach her rather than the other way around.
Hurley: 6 month old white and black silkie. Twitchy, and I'm not certain she is a she. She is antisocial, a bit....slow and tries to crow occasionally. S/He has a really unfortunate hair-do, like a certain someone on Lost.
Chick Norris: 6 month old black silkie. My patient. Incredibly sweet, incredibly friendly and Im hoping she makes it!

Here is a subset of them taking advantage of "garden clean out day".

Love your descriptions of your chickens, a very interesting bunch. I do hope you hen will be nursed back to health. Generally chickens seem to have amazing recuperative powers, and heal from some gruesome predator injuries. Hope you hen is yet another example of this. Welcome to Backyard Chickens. Hope you will post often on other threads, so I can continue to enjoy your posts.

welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif

Hi :welcome
Glad you could join the flock! Loved reading your great introduction and all about your flock :thumbsup
I hope with all the love and care Chick Norris makes it and you can gets her back to full health. Wishing you the very best of luck and be sure to ask any questions you may have, everyone here to help.
Enjoy BYC :frow

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
I'm glad you joined us.

It sounds like you have a lovely, varied flock! Good luck with them.

welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined us!

It sounds like you have a wonderful flock! Good luck with all of your chickens, including your injured hen.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom