Greetings from Va.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Bsisler, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Bsisler

Bsisler New Egg

Feb 19, 2013
    Hello everyone, I've been doing a lot of research lately on what all it take to take care of a flock. I am extremely new to all of this but also very excited. Through all the websites I've come across this one seems to have the best community. Everyone seems very eager to help and encourage as well as give their opinion =).

So now for the introduction. I am 28 years old and have been married for 5 years. My wife Dana and I have a 4 year old boy (Braden) and just recently have bought our first home. We live in Va. so any help on how to raise chickens in the climate here would be great.

I am planning on having 5-7 hens and possible a rooster. I've started the coop when finished it will be 8'x4' I chose those dimensions because I am not the most handy person and sheets of plywood come 8'x4'. I guess my next question would be what breed/hybrid chickens should i choose as a novice? or does it really matter? what do I need to know about my flocks health and that short of thing...I'm sure i could be on here for hours asking questions, so and advise for a newbie would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks for listening to my little ramble and I look forward to getting know all of you =).

2. hello welcome! [​IMG]

3. ChckenBoy13

ChckenBoy13 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2013
    Claremont, NC
    [​IMG]
    This is a great website to help you solve all your needs. I hope you find all you need!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2013
  4. hennotrooster

hennotrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2012
    Hesperia CA
    [​IMG][​IMG] From CA

A red light will help keep the chicks calmer we learned that the hard way. Ours were wound up all the time and even pecked at each other when we changed out the light it was blissful and they slept well. Good luck and I hope you enjoy the site.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  5. Bsisler

Bsisler New Egg

Feb 19, 2013
    Red light as.in a heat lamp or just a red colored light?

6. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad to have you aboard. The red heat lamp is what most of us use. We just raise or lower it depending on the temp. below the light. Below is a link to Henderson breed chart. It will help you decide what breed will be best from your climate :thumbsup

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

7. thasista

thasista Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    KY
    My Coop
    Hi from KY! My favorite breed is orpingtons, however no one says you have to have just one!! Good Luck

[​IMG]

8. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

Oh, lots of opinions around here! :lol:

I also recommend the Henderson chicken chart

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

10. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Bsisler, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! Sounds like you've already received some good advice so I'll just say, best of luck and have fun!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by