Greetings from western Illinois

twhope

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 21, 2012
Hello all,

For this introduction, I'll follow the suggested prompts. My thanks to the administrator for providing these!

First off, my family and I have recently moved to the Galeburg, IL area and would welcome any comments/ suggestions/ feedback on how to contribute to the local scene. Also, I would love to visit any local breeders.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

We are relatively new to chickens. We haven't had our own, but we are currently caretaking a flock of four hens, which we have quickly come to love. We first really considered raising our own chickens over the last year. We have a friend with Buckeyes and Speckled Sussex (I believe). She is a firm advocate of heritage breeds, and we like her eggs ;-}

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

As mentioned, we're taking care of 4; we hope to start out with 8-10 next spring.

(3) What breeds do you have?

We are considering a mixed flock, primarily for eggs and for fun. If anyone has a suggestion for the pros/ cons of mixed flocks, please send them. We've been looking into some of the discussion here at BYC, and find ourselves drawn to Golden laced Cochins (beautiful birds), RIRs, Buckeyes, and Leghorns, but we're not set yet.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

I did an online search for heritage breeders and the site came up. It is excellent! I've particularly enjoyed sitting with my 12 yr old daughter and looking at the coops. We've become inspired to build our own.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Music making, gardening, hiking, camping, paddling, among many others.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

We're a family of four. All of us are now chicken 'converts' and can't wait to have a flock of our own. We look forward to learning from and sharing with the BYC community our experiences!

Take care,
William

ab4a3b6ffa9c5224e8d94f1bf069309e835bf44ada39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709da39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709a4b3225a1483568630b9.png

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

I have a large mixed flock, and love the variety of eggs - delawares, speckled sussex, norwegian jaerhons, euskal oiloa (basques), and EE's. Plus a pen of mixed bantam breeds.

Greetings from Kansas, William, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Happy you joined our community! Hope you get some birds real soon. I have nothing but pro to say on a mixed flock - the variety is great to have from a visual standpoint, the eggs are a little different from each other, and in time you can tell which breeds give you which eggs and when that type of egg starts to show up less frequently, you know which bird is responsible. I think the only caution I would have is getting them all as baby chicks - if they grow up together they seem to treat each other better. Best of luck to you!

Back
Top Bottom