Greetings from Western MD

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by lizbeth120, Mar 10, 2016.

1. lizbeth120

lizbeth120 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2016
    Boonsboro, MD
    Hello! I'm Liz and I live in Washington County, MD. I've been wanting chickens for YEARS and it's finally happening on Monday :) Everything is all set up and ready to go thanks to all of the great advice here. My must haves are: gold laced wyandottes, buff orpingtons, barred rocks, and rhode island reds. I'm considering golden comets, araucana and spotted sussex but have heard these breeds may not be as beginner friendly - thoughts? Monday can't come soon enough, I'm so excited [​IMG][​IMG]

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

1 person likes this.
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Liz and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us.

Maybe read up in the breeds section about the characteristics of different breeds.

The Learning Centre is a great resource, even for experienced chicken keepers - loads of info on anything chicken. https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Joining your state thread will also put you in contact with other BYC members in your area.

(https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread)

The members here are amazing - very friendly and helpful, so if you need an answer to a question or simply want some reassurance that what you are doing is ok, then post away - we all help each other out here at BYC.

All the best
    CT

1 person likes this.
  5. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I would encourage you to give the Speckled Sussex a try if you're interested in them. I have 2 in my mixed flock and they are some of the sweetest tempered (and beautiful) girls I have.

No matter what breeds you go with, hope you enjoy them!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by