Greetings!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by nikih7, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Hello everyone,

I am new to 'Backyard Chickens' but I have referred to this site many times since we've started as chicken parents. We are first-timers and had 4 chicks: 1 Brahma (Chickpea), 1 Java (Chirpy), 1 silver laced Wyandotte (The Dude) and 1 Dominique (Dominique-real original, I know.) We have raised them since they were one day old (April 13, 2012) and they are very healthy, happy and spoiled chickies.

Sadly, last Saturday evening around 1:15 AM, our coop was infiltrated by <what we now know to be> a possum. It attacked Chirpy and Chickpea, killing Chickpea and traumitizing Chirpy. When I came upon the crime scene, I thought Chirpy was dead but she just hopped up and started puttering around. I later researched and discovered she had fainted from the fear.

It was a horrific scene to come upon but I'm glad I just happened to hear the commotion outside and stop it before the little bugger got any more of our feathered babes. We've since taken stronger measures to insure this won't happen again.

I dont want to replace Chickpea and our flock is OK with 3. She wasn't one of the leaders but I can tell the dynamic between them is different. I think they miss their 4th amigo....I know I do. My avatar is a shot of Chickpea up on our deck. She climbed the steps one day just to come up and say 'hello.' She was a real sweety. [​IMG]

I just wanted to say thanks to all the other posts and threads in dealing with these situations. I've referred to this website numerous times while dealing and coping with this. I am a very protective chicken mama and I am very grateful to have this website and forum as a resource to help us be better chicken parents.

Warmest regards,
    NV

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]. So sorry for your loss [​IMG]

3. Thank you! This website/forum is amazing!! So grateful to have such an amazing resource!

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Sorry for your loss. The rest of the flock will be 'off' for a bit but eventually will return to normal.

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, NV, and [​IMG]! Great to have you here but sorry to hear about your possum attack. Glad BYC was able to help you out. You do sound like good chicken parents. Good luck to you!

6. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] So sorry for your loss [​IMG]

8. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad to have you aboard. So sorry for your loss. :thumbsup

9. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I'm so sorry about little chickpea, she is so beautiful. [​IMG] Glad you could reinforce their home, to stop the other critters from getting in. Just want to say Hello and [​IMG] from S.Florida! So glad you joined us!

10. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us. So sorry for your loss [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by