Greets from SE NC

OrionDarkwood

In the Brooder
Dec 8, 2015
SE NC
Long time lurker, finally decided to step into the light and give back what I can. Me and my wife have slowly been going back to the ways of our forefathers after having our fill of modern society. Back in July we purchased 15 Australorps as our starter kit to become crazy chicken people. We had to raise them in a pet playpen (this is the actual model we used - http://amzn.to/1PVb0L8) because we wanted to get them before they (NC Ag Dept) started their ban on live poultry sales. 1 did not survive the first 6 weeks of life (it died the 2nd day), the rest where happy when they got moved into the coop we build them using old pallets. They are now almost 5 months old, we have 8 roos and 6 hens. Needless to say 6 are going to be taking a trip to the freezer in the next couple of weeks. Also if the ban gets lifted in January we probably will purchase a few new hens, since we do not think our hens will go broody (from what we heard Australops are not known to go broody).

We are both in our 40s, I own my own business (business consulting, writer, self reliance advocate), as well as retired from my 1st career as a software developer. My wife is disabled but she was a teacher for years before illness forced her to retired. We live in SE NC as well as both of us was rasied in the area and traveled around the US due to work. We both grew up on a farm and had chickens but that was many years ago so for the most part our knowledge of chickens is basically reset to being around a 5 or 6 on the 1-10 scale.

-Orion

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! What a lovely introduction, I've really enjoyed getting to know done about you and your chicken adventures. Sorry to hear you lost one, it's always very sad when they pass.

Good luck for the future and enjoy BYC :frow

welcome-byc.gif

If you haven't already, take a look at the Learning Center. There are lots of very helpful articles there. And if you have questions, always feel free to ask.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

I've had 2 BA's...1 went broody frequently once she turned about 18 months old (the other never did). Since you will have a roo, you might want to try hatching some if you end up with a broody too.

Thanks for joining us!

welcome-byc.gif

If you haven't already, take a look at the Learning Center. There are lots of very helpful articles there. And if you have questions, always feel free to ask.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

I've had 2 BA's...1 went broody frequently once she turned about 18 months old (the other never did). Since you will have a roo, you might want to try hatching some if you end up with a broody too.

Thanks for joining us!

Thanks, what pray tell is a BA (Broody Australop)? Our plan is to get to around 10-12 hens and 2 rooster. And then for the near future maintain that flock size by having generations I think we need to get some more hens right away and then next year allow some roosters to mature or buy some more (not excatly sure if we have to worry about inbreeding). But I agree better for one of our own to produce the next generation than having to buy them.

Back
Top Bottom