Grey call duck sexing...when do drakes get their colors?

EllieandOlive

Songster
Aug 29, 2020
West Central Kentucky
I have 5 grey call ducks that are 6 weeks old. They all look pretty much the same right now. One of them *might' be getting a greenish head. They all make the same squeak sound currently, little to no voice variations. Hoping for at least 1 or 2 drakes as we got them for ornamental value. When should their heads be changing colors?

Attachments

• 0512211412c.jpg
    0512211412c.jpg
    772.2 KB · Views: 78
Wow, look at you go! That's awesome. We may sell the gal(s) and just have a quartet of handsome boys! Can you explain to me what identifies them at this age? Is it their beaks?
tail color! the dark is boys and the two color pattern is girls! all drake flocks are the best, if i ever get more ducks i will only be getting drakes (no egg issues and less drama)

tail color! the dark is boys and the two color pattern is girls! all drake flocks are the best, if i ever get more ducks i will only be getting drakes (no egg issues and less drama)
Do you know if call drakes will try to mate with standard or large breed ducks? Just wondering if I will need to keep them seperated from my breeder flocks when they are mature.

yes they will, keeping them seperate will be best because no girls = no fighting
We just put in 4 seperate runs and I rotate to let my breeds free range daily on our property! ❤ I have welsh harlequins, french muscovys, blue swedish, silver appleyards for breeders and working on getting saxonys. Then I have a barn stall for my mixed/singles/special ducks that free range all the time because I don't care if they cross breed lol. I definitely agree, so kuch drama with drakes and hens! I have one drake that is a overmating turd to all females he gets his feathers on.

Back
Top Bottom