Grey Dominique chick - not a purebred? *pics*

MA Mama

Songster
8 Years
Jan 21, 2012
MA
I bought these eggs on ebay and when they hatched they all appear to be purebred Dominiques except for one. It has the spot on its had, and light feet like a female, which are Dominique characteristics. But it is grey, not black. Thoughts? Is this a mutt? Will it look like a regular Dominique as an adult?

The pic above is an accurate pic of his true color. The one below everyone looks a little lighter than they really are. The black siblings are really black not greyish.

I've seen lighter chicks and they still carry the Dominique traits. I think I might got you beat though, as yesterday one of our hatched chicks came out solid white. I'll try to remember to get pics later today. I bought all the hens and rooster from a reputable breeder, so not sure if this is a throw back or something got in the hen house ;)

I think they all could be crosses, to be honest. The gray one looks too pale, the one on the right has a single comb, and I think I am seeing brownish tints in their coloring, although that could just be the pictures. Buying eggs from Ebay is a crapshoot.

But definitely the gray one looks different from the others beyond just coloring, in my eyes.

I've seen lighter chicks and they still carry the Dominique traits. I think I might got you beat though, as yesterday one of our hatched chicks came out solid white. I'll try to remember to get pics later today. I bought all the hens and rooster from a reputable breeder, so not sure if this is a throw back or something got in the hen house ;)
Here's a pic of our oddball!

Attachments

• 0828220958c.jpg
    0828220958c.jpg
    358.1 KB · Views: 2

I think they all could be crosses, to be honest. The gray one looks too pale, the one on the right has a single comb, and I think I am seeing brownish tints in their coloring, although that could just be the pictures. Buying eggs from Ebay is a crapshoot.

But definitely the gray one looks different from the others beyond just coloring, in my eyes.

Here's a pic of our oddball!
This thread is from 2012, y'all. 😂

Back
Top Bottom