Grieving hen and owner

SirTeletoll

In the Brooder
Jun 10, 2021
I have posted about my hen and rooster in love. I wrote that, because I knew he will die very soon. Around 6 hours later he passed away. The first day my poor hen didn't really look like she understood what happened. She went up to him, tried to groom his feathers (I've never really seen this from chickens before?) and just hung out with him until the end. In the next few days she acted odd. She would chase my other hen around and my pidgeons, which she almost never did, then she was very attached to me, then to the other hen. Today she looked sad, but she ran away after I poked her a bit. A few hours later she passed away. She wasn't sick, she layed eggs up until Friday (daily), even though she was 6 years old. It might be my delusion to think she couldn't live without him, but that's also what those who knew them think. I post this, so those, who have chickens who are very attached to each other know what to expect. Needless to say I'm very distraught over losing them both, but find solace in that very few chickens had such lives as them.

I have posted about my hen and rooster in love. I wrote that, because I knew he will die very soon. Around 6 hours later he passed away. The first day my poor hen didn't really look like she understood what happened. She went up to him, tried to groom his feathers (I've never really seen this from chickens before?) and just hung out with him until the end. In the next few days she acted odd. She would chase my other hen around and my pidgeons, which she almost never did, then she was very attached to me, then to the other hen. Today she looked sad, but she ran away after I poked her a bit. A few hours later she passed away. She wasn't sick, she layed eggs up until Friday (daily), even though she was 6 years old. It might be my delusion to think she couldn't live without him, but that's also what those who knew them think. I post this, so those, who have chickens who are very attached to each other know what to expect. Needless to say I'm very distraught over losing them both, but find solace in that very few chickens had such lives as them.
Sorry about both your losses. She probably chased the other hens because now that the rooster has gone the pecking order has messed up and she felt more dominant. It’s sad to deal with death of any pet

:hugs
I think chickens are more connected than we think.
My Isa Brown, who is 4, is nearing the end of her life span. They don't live as long as other breeds. She hasn't laid an egg in over a year and has had no issues otherwise. But, she is definitely in a state of rapid decline. The other night I go to check that everyone made it to the roost, and she had her wing tucked over another hen (actually over the bully of the flock) - it was so sweet. She is (was) top hen. Maybe she was secretly handing over the reigns?

With that said, sorry for your loss. I'm sure they both had great chicken lives!

Back
Top Bottom