Grit and Organic Chick starter

Heatherberry

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 21, 2010
I am very confused about grit. I have four biddies. One is 3weeks, one is 2 weeks and 2 are 1 week. So the guy at the feed store told me that commercial chick starter has grit in it. I have a place here where I get organic starter gluten free yada yada. It does not have grit I am assuming. So the man at the feed store says I can give them just sand, like play sand.

So i put some in a little bowl set it in the brooder. When they found it it looked like they were eating it, which I am assuming is the idea. One of the youngest actually got in it and took a nap. They love it in other words. So is this a good idea? Should they be eating it? I am very confused. Doesn't take much. But some more info on it would be great.

Thanks

A lot of people use play sand. Some people prefer commercial sand as it has larger pieces in it, and think play sand passes right through. I wouldn't worry to much unless they are eating large quantities.

I haven't had chicks in several years. When I did, I didn't know about grit, so they got none. They were fine.

Imp

Last edited:
I'm so glad I'm not the only new "mom" confused!! The feed store told me I don't need to provide grit till they are 8 weeks old, but I've read so many different things I'm not sure what I should do.

They also told me not to give treats until then.....My baby chicks just turned 2 weeks old & I couldn't resist giving them chopped egg, their poo ended up a little runny but they loved it.

I'll be keeping an eye on this post so I know what I should be doing.......

Commercial food has grit in it, so you don't need to give them any more if you're not giving any treats. Once you start giving them treats, they'll need some grit to digest.

I put a bowl of grit in with the chicks, figuring they'd eat it when they needed it.

I am very confused about grit. I have four biddies. One is 3weeks, one is 2 weeks and 2 are 1 week. So the guy at the feed store told me that commercial chick starter has grit in it. I have a place here where I get organic starter gluten free yada yada. It does not have grit I am assuming. So the man at the feed store says I can give them just sand, like play sand.

So i put some in a little bowl set it in the brooder. When they found it it looked like they were eating it, which I am assuming is the idea. One of the youngest actually got in it and took a nap. They love it in other words. So is this a good idea? Should they be eating it? I am very confused. Doesn't take much. But some more info on it would be great.

Thanks
I recently learned that play sand is made of silica, which is not a healthy option for chicks. It is not digestible and can affect their health negatively. I thought the same thing, that I would just toss some of my kiddos’ play sand in, thinking it was the same thing, just on a smaller scale. Then a friend of mine came over and mentioned the silica concern. My husband and I quickly looked it up and sure enough, the play sand we had (quikrete brand), like most play sand, was made solely of silica. Hope that helps.

I recently learned that play sand is made of silica, which is not a healthy option for chicks. It is not digestible and can affect their health negatively. I thought the same thing, that I would just toss some of my kiddos’ play sand in, thinking it was the same thing, just on a smaller scale. Then a friend of mine came over and mentioned the silica concern. My husband and I quickly looked it up and sure enough, the play sand we had (quikrete brand), like most play sand, was made solely of silica. Hope that helps.
This thread is from 2010, my friend, you'll likely not receive a response.

Back
Top Bottom