Grit and Oyster Shell: When in Doubt, Put it Out

No expert by any means here, but i would be a bit hesitent to feed something with those whole spiral shells in it. You can order a bag of Oyster shell grit from one of the poultry sites if you can't find it. The Oyster grit I feed says Oyster shell on the bag, and looks like crushed up white rocks. Sorry I don't know enough to give you a clear answer.

Good Luck!
MB

O.K thanks, yeah we know the guy at the feed store and i just asked for shell or oyster grit and he gave me a clear bag, which had these in it to me.
It's more of a test to see ow they go, so looks like i will have to do some research.
Thanks.

Thanks Popsicle.... i am really just questioning how folks think that a little rain falls and poof! Its gone!.... I'm new here, and ive got a really dry sarcastic humor most of the time im the only one laughing. I have had chickens for five years now, and am looking forward to the info available here!
Maybe it is acid rain :)

I would have to say that the solubility issue with oyster shells has to do with the enzymatic breakdown in the proventriculus before it reaches the gizzard. The acid breaks it down so that if there is anything left it is too small to be affective as grit (at least in quantity). This is the same as using limestone which doesn't just wash away quickly. I would agree that you could leave the oyster shells in water for quite some time.

I have only had my chicks for a short time now ( a little over a month old) and have not given them any oyster shells yet. As far as grit tho, I have quite a few aquariums at my house so I just took a 5lb bag of small, natural colored aquarium gravel and gave it to them for grit. The pick through it and get the ones the want. Is this acceptable?

I have only had my chicks for a short time now ( a little over a month old) and have not given them any oyster shells yet. As far as grit tho, I have quite a few aquariums at my house so I just took a 5lb bag of small, natural colored aquarium gravel and gave it to them for grit. The pick through it and get the ones the want. Is this acceptable?
As long as the rocks are natural, that is fine. No need to give them oyster shells until they are laying.

The stuff i have has very small versions of the spiral shell in this picture along with grit.

The chickens eat it, but I'm just curious because this article says you need Grit and Oyster shells???
Yes, grit and oyster shells serve two different purposes. They are not one and the same. The oyster shells are for calcium to aid in the strengthening of layer's egg shells. Crushed oyster shell is too soft to function as grit. The grit, tiny pebbles and other hard objects, in your case sea shells, are swallowed to grind their food since they don't have teeth to chew it. I have never heard of oyster grit, I buy the two separate from the feed store.

I guess if the rocks are all natural like Mavrk said, and are small enough for the chicks. My feed store sells two different sizes of grit. Itty bitty for the chicks and bigger for grown chickens. Not sure if that's necessary, but it makes sense to me.

Missnu01: Aren't you concerned about the chickens eating the asphalt particles?
I was wrong in my presentation of what is in our yard...it is what they mix with the asphalt to make roadbond...so we have the rocks and dirt...Some of the rocks are really large, but a lot of them are super tiny...either way I give no grit and there seems to be no issue, even with chicks, and the chickens have straw bedding in their coop, so surely we would have had some impactions if they weren't getting enough grit...

I was wrong in my presentation of what is in our yard...it is what they mix with the asphalt to make roadbond...so we have the rocks and dirt...Some of the rocks are really large, but a lot of them are super tiny...either way I give no grit and there seems to be no issue, even with chicks, and the chickens have straw bedding in their coop, so surely we would have had some impactions if they weren't getting enough grit...
That makes sense. The chicks will pick the smaller size and the older ones will take the size they want too (along with some smaller ones I am sure). Having that kind of rock available should make it so you don't need extra grit. Some people don't have the rocks and I would recommend extra grit for those people.

Our chickens started laying this week (well two out of four now). The shells are nice and hard from the layer pellet we started them on last week. I will get some oyster shells in there once they are all laying, but for now they seem fine. I still have to get the better grit for them but haven't had time to get it.

Yes, grit and oyster shells serve two different purposes. They are not one and the same. The oyster shells are for calcium to aid in the strengthening of layer's egg shells. Crushed oyster shell is too soft to function as grit. The grit, tiny pebbles and other hard objects, in your case sea shells, are swallowed to grind their food since they don't have teeth to chew it. I have never heard of oyster grit, I buy the two separate from the feed store.

OH, i have got it now, sorry newbie. Thanks a bunch. Looks like i will have to go out and get some Oyster Shells now.

Back
Top Bottom