Grit feeding

I have always felt grit (and oyster shell) should be offered separately; they can decide how much they want/need. They need grit as soon as they eat anything but stater chick feed that needs grinding. I give mine a bit even when starting out with scrambled eggs. You can put the grit in any simple container. In a wood coop, the bottom of a plastic soda bottle nailed to the wall works fine.

Fred's Hens :

Our whole property is sandy soil. I never buy or feed grit. They have access to nature's grit, anytime, anywhere. An unlimited supply. Never had an issue. Not once.

Agree I have never suplemmented my chickens feed with grit, as my chickens they all free range they have access to natures grit.
However if your chickens don't have access to natural grit, then you will need to supplement their feed with it until they have access to natural grit, just regular sand or dirt, but that's only if you give them anything else besides feeds you can find at the feed store as chickens do not need grit to break down that kind of feed.​

my chicks are still young 2-7 weeks and i mix grit in with their feed and i sprinkle some in their brooders because they love to scratch around and eat the bugs that get zapped by their lamp but once they get into their coop/run i'll prob still do it just because we have hard clay soil and i want to make sure they have enough grit

well I live in Florida, all I have is SAND lots of SAND, it does not have any pebbles at all in the soil. Is sand good enough or do I need to supplement with grit

I have read that smooth, fine sand is not the same that it will just go through their systems. But if you have rocky sand, where it is all different sizes and there are some small pebbles in it, that will work just fine. I am basically just repeating what I have read on other parts of this forum though, I am a newbie too!

This forum is fantastic though! I have gotten so many ideas, had so many questions answered! great info here!!!

Back
Top Bottom