Grit from Home Depot or Lowes?

yeshuaisiam

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 28, 2012
Has anybody tried to use any type of crushed granite or large sand from Home Depot or Lowes (for chicken grit)? If so what type do you use and how does it work?

I would like to avoid the premium $ grit from tractor supply if possible.

Thank you!

Some people offer purchase grit, sand, etc. Some never provide any, just let them find what they need free ranging.
A bag of grit will last a very long time. Are you planning on offering it free choice or mixing with feed.
I just put a small amount in a pvc cap attached to a post and they will get a piece or two when needed. I don't know how many chickens you have, but I've had a 25lb bag for about 3mos. and only used about 1cup, and most of it is still in the holder in the run, at the rate I'm going it will last me well over a year or more.
Not sure of the pricing at your TSC but it's under $9.00 for 25lb at mine.

Is it for chicks or adults?
Asking because there are two different sizes you can purchase, just thought of that.
Chick grit is going to be a bit more $.
But as far as consumption, it is about the same for chicks or adults.
They will pick up a couple of pieces and eat it. This will stay in their gizzard for a while so they can grind food. Adults may pick up two or three pieces that are maybe different shape/size, mine only pick more grit I guess, when what they have in their gizzard is ground down.

I have a lot of chickens so bought a 50 pound bag.......3 years ago. I have only used about a quart out of it.

Better safe then sorry. Buy the actual grit instead of risking some chemical being present in something not made specifically to be ingested.

Back
Top Bottom