Grit? help?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chickeneyfoot, Dec 27, 2011.

1. chickeneyfoot

chickeneyfoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2011
    My chickens are in a sand covered run and I have a big bowl of grit and the girls never eat it! I tried putting it in their pellets it just ends up at the bottom. They don't free range often 1 a week. They don't eat their grit!! Help!

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    When you put the grit in the pellets do you mix it or just set it in there?

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Just leave it, they'll take it when they need it. Mine are in a dirt run and get out in a pasture with rocky/gravelly areas for several hours a day. I always provide grit and sometimes they consume a lot of it other times they don't touch it for long periods of time.

4. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

Don't worry to much, they must be getting some little pebbles or maybe the sand is enough. They wouldn't beable to digest there food so there getting something (grit)! I know my girls like the bigger pieces of oyster shell but they also eat very little of there grit.

5. Ukiah

Ukiah Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    AL
    Welcome to BYC
    The sand run is enough. When they scratch and peck, theres no way they're NOT getting any sand - and sand acts as grit. If you put the grit over their food,
    they're getting atleast a little bit. The grit that ends up on the bottom is normal when you pour it over their food, They won't eat it all.. I usually offer grit for
    my birds everynow and again. All my birds are housed on the ground, which has lots of dirt and pebbles. Even though I rarely offer grit, I've never had to deal with
    an impacted crop. Don't worry, they'll be fine. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by