Grit, how do you give it to the?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by DottieMarie, Jun 23, 2008.

1. DottieMarie

DottieMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    South East MI
    Our chicks are 1 week old. I believe I was told to start giving them grit for small birds but do I mix it with their food, sprinkle it on the floor or put it in a seperate feeder?

How often?

2. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I never gave my chicks grit. From what I've learned here, they only need it to digest treats, which chicks don't usually get. I have a small bag I give to my house chicken in a little bowl because she doesn't get outside ever. I have 4 month old and the only grit they get is from the dirt they eat outside.

3. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    If or when I start to see my chicks get pasty butt, I will give them very fine grit or sand and that will help to stop the pasty butt...................

4. LuckyChicken

LuckyChicken Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2008
    We would put out sand (play sand from the sandbox) when the chicks were old enough to start getting occasional treats. Once we move our chicks into the coop, we would offer regular grit. I would say you don't have to offer any form of grit until you start offering treats, or until they're older and out living "on their own."

5. DottieMarie

DottieMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    South East MI
    Thanks for the input. I gave them some very fine grit yesterday; is there any harm in giving to them or do they just not need it?

6. gachickeeper

gachickeeper Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2008
    Middle GA
    Zoo, having a house chicken sounds like fun. How does that work? (as far as droppings and all)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by