grit if chickens in a tractor?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by LauraN, Mar 24, 2009.

1. LauraN

LauraN Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2008
    SW Houston
    Do I still need to offer grit if the chickens are in a tractor?

2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

If they have access to the ground they will pick up small pebbles and rocks. Although it wouldn't hurt anything to put a small feeder with some grit in there just in case they aren't getting enough from the yard.

3. lalaland

lalaland Overrun With Chickens

Sep 26, 2008
    Pine County MN
    If you are moving the tractor frequently enough that there really isn't bare ground, just grass, be certain to offer grit = nothing impacts a crop like long grass!

The other thing is that I've heard that if you're in an area where glaciers ground down the rocks to round, smooth pebbles, you are better off offering grit with its sharper edges.

On the other hand, heck, pheasants etc survive fine without added grit.

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I make sure they've recently had access to grit before putting them in the tractor for the summer, and give them a little container of it in there for the first few weeks at least, on the theory that after that they'll have picked up enough bits of gravel from poking around in the soil. Don't want them stuffing themselves on grass *before* getting grit though.

No idea how essential this is, as I have not tried *not* doing it [​IMG] Partly it depends on your soil and where they've been before they were in the tractor.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by