Grit question

chickmama320

Songster
10 Years
Mar 3, 2009
Back Swamp NC
I know that I don't need to feed the babies grit until they start getting treats (like when they are only eating the started crumbles). However, we have gone outside the last two days and they were pecking around while we were out there. Should I have started them with some grit when I first took them out?

If you want you can buy grit especially for chicks. If they were pecking on the ground then I would start feeding them grit because if they swallow a rock that is too big for there throat then they could choke and you would end up with one less chick than you barganed for.

So chick starter feed doesn't have grit in it?
I have 1.5 week olds and I would really like to give them treats... is it okay to give them regular chicken grit or do they need special chick grit? Do feed stores sell special chick grit?

Thanks!

Most feed stores do sell chick grit (usually called starter grit). If you can't find starter grit some people use canary grit or parakeet grit, just make sure it doesn't say "with calcium" because those ones are part calcium supplement and the chicks can't have calcium in large amounts yet. I use starter grit and my chicks can't get enough. When I put down the feeder and the grit they go for the grit first and then the feeder. I've been giving them grit since they were 6 days old and at 8 days I was giving them the buds from the tops of heads of broccoli (the house bun got the rest
big_smile.png
). Now they get all sorts of small treats at 2 weeks old.

I got the grit with calcium will this hurt my babes they are only about a week old. Ive only given it to them once
Sorry to steal your topic , but im freakin now.

As I understand it chicks don't have the ability to process calcium properly. I think I read that it will cause damage to their kidneys. It was another couple threads on BYC within the last 3 weeks or so that brought up the question of grit.

Back
Top Bottom