Grit Question

NattiFan

Songster
9 Years
Mar 1, 2010
Plainfield, CT
So I've got 6 week old girls and I just started introducing them to yogurt and they loved it!! I'd like to start giving them some grapes and stawberries and such.......I've heard that a bag of construction sand is a good grit alternative, my question is, how much should I give them, how should I give it to them, and for how long?? While in the brooder should I just give it to them before I give the harder treats??? Your help is appreciated!

Chicken grit is crushed granite. You can get it from a feed mill or tractor supply, it's cheap.

There are 2 kinds of grit, chick grit and adult grit. The difference is the size of the pieces. They need chick grit at this age. My feed mill sells 25lb bag for $7-8, or maybe it's a 50lb bag, I don't remember.
They need grit if you are going to feed them something that requires crushing up like meal worms or strawberries, chick feed and yogurt don't require grit.

I would not use construction sand, its too small.

I keep it in a bowl that they can get to all of the time and they decide when they need to have some.

When they start laying you will need to add another bowl of crushed oyster shell. This provides calcium for the egg shells.

Quote:
Thank you very much. I will look for some chick grit at the store tomorrow and put some in there for them, and introduce them to some fruit. Thanks again.

Quote:
Chicken grit does not have to be granite. Yes it is the best but does not have to be. Construction sand is fine as long as it is not fine sand like play sand. When I give my chickens grit thet get what the peaple in winter areas call tube sand. A burlap tube filled with construction sand used for weight and traction in winter.

Back
Top Bottom